(Sand from the beach) Is it safe?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sunbot

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi i went to wales yesterday and i got some sand from the beach and i want to put it in my fish tank.

1: Is it safe?

2:If so how do i clean it?

If you know plz put 1: then the answer or 2: then the answer so i know what you talking about.

Thank you for reading this :)

thank you for your help if givin :D

Well the tide was in so i got it where people lie down on that bit not where the had been

dont add it into the tank whatever you do like chrix said full of salt and high in nitrates will kill your fish. :-(

james

Doesn't sound like the best idea to me either mate. If you want cheap sand, why not buy play sand. It's only £2.50 per bag from Argos and I did my 160litre and 68litre using 3 bags.

:)

If you wash the sand very thoroughly, and sift it for foreign objects, then there is no reason why you can't use it.

However for all the trouble, you may as well buy it. I use a play sand by a brand called King that is nothing but washed beach sand. It works great, is virtually dust free, and costs next to nothing.

This sounds like something that my fiance would want to do (and undoubtly will at some point). But it is not so much because it is sand as it is where the sand came from if know what I mean...Wales, etc. She would not be so excited to use sand if we bought it from the Local HomeImprovement Store. So could we please expand just a touch. If it is boiled and added to water that is used for water changes, then tested for regular water parameters before adding to the tank, would it be ok? Or would there possibly be parasites or something?

Thanks

There are several concerns about using sand collected from the beach. First among them--pollutants. Pollution concentrates near shorelines, and even dry sand can be contaminated, especially likely if this is a publically used beach (even something like a spilled soda--NIMT!). Rinsing and cleaning is possible--lots and lots of freshwater, and a fine-mesh bag will work, but is risky. For sand colleccted for use in a FW setup, there's the additional concern of removing the salt (though this isn't as difficult, since salt dissolves so easily). Finally, the composition of the salt must be determined. Many beaches have sand that really broken up shells and coral skeletons--aragonite. This will alter the pH of the tank, possibly significantly.

Personally, not worth the risk. A bag of silica play sand, washed and ready to use, costs a couple buck--more than worth my peace of mind.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back