Sand Bubbling?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tttnjfttt

I have a point, just don't ask me what it is
Reaction score
my own little world, which is currently in Norther
Ok this is a wierd one. I was sitting watching my tank, and i saw bubbles comming up out of the sand. its been over 24 hours since i did a water change, so i doubt it is from that. I also don't have an air stone. Any idea what this could be?

Pockets of anerobic air. It can become poisoness to fish and you over time, i think its something to do with methane. Stir the sand on a weekly basis to avoid them. Also trumpet snails bury into the sand and help against these air pockets.

I had them on a tank setup just 4 days earlier, it was explained to me to be something to do with metal.

Anyway I was sniffing it, smelt like sulphur, 'don't sniff it' I was told afterwards. Also none of my fish died.

You can do another water change but this time vacuum the gravel. This should break it all lose and hopefully suck it out with the water.

Just stir the sand, all the 'bubbles' will go to the surface and 'pop'.

I posted this a while back:

The main concern people have about sand would be anaerobic bacteria build-up. Anaerobic meaning without air, though more accurately, without oxygen. If you didn't know, the ammonia and nitrite reducing bacteria require oxygen to work (to convert ammonia to nitrite and to convert nitrite to nitrate).

Anywho, under anaerobic conditions, bacteria start to get their energy from other sources, like reducing sulfur instead of oxygen. And a by-product of that is hydrogen sulfide, yes, one of the deadliest compounds in nature.

But, there is relief. In water, as soon as hydrogen sulfide comes into contact with any oxygen, it will become harmless. So, even if there is a pocket, and even if you accidentally stir it up, it will become harmless as soon as it hits your well-oxygenated water. And you know your water is well-oxygenated since your fish are living in it, and they need oxygen. This is the stinky smell you got, sulfurs, but you most likely smelled sulfur oxides, not hydrogen sulfide. Like I said, hydrogen sulfide decomposes very quickly in the presence of oxygen while in aqueous solution.

So, there really isn't anything down there to worry about, so my recommendation is to not stir it at all. Just vacuum the top of the sand to get the uneaten food off the top. If uneaten food on the top is a constant problem, you probably should be feeding less, maybe a lot less. If it really bothers you, maybe decrease the thickness of your sand layer.

p.s. Another source of energy anaerobic bacteria may use is actually to convert nitrates to nitrogen gas. This is what living rock and living sand does for some marine tank setups.

Thanks for the info bignose. Definately reassured me. I will start slowly stiring it, but do it small amounts at a time. Uneaten food isn't really a problem, only occasionally.

Boids - i always vacume the sand when i change the water, the down side is with sand is you can't stick the vaccume down too far into the sand or you end up removing the sand. Trust me, i've done that on many occasions.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back