Sand and shrimps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zain611

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Is there certain types of sand which can be harmful to shrimps? I've seen a pack of natural sand in my local fish shop which I might get but did see another pack saying (from what I remember) suitable for plants and shrimps.

Thanks Colin. Is there a way of finding out how much sand I'd need to fill the tank up? In my local fish shop I got a 3kg bag of sand and placed it in the display tank. By the looks of it I'd need about 4 packs (12kg) to cover the surface and to a decent depth. Probably answered my question lol

If you don't have live plants you will only need a thin layer (10mm) of sand in the tank. If you have plants then you can either have more sand (75-80mm), or put the plants in pots and grow them in the pots. If you have the plants in pots you will only need a thin layer of sand and just put rocks or wood in front of the pots to camouflage them.

If you buy sand from the pet shop, ask the shop if you can return a bag if you don't need it all. If they say no, then only buy a couple of bags and go back for another bag afterwards if you need it. :)

Forget the petshop and their stupid prices, Get plain old play sand.

Sorry nick I bought 4 3kg packs today :lol:. Sand is suitable for plants right? I get different opinions from people saying its good or bad. The guy actually said to me I can send a pack back if I don't need it.

Thanks Colin. If the sand isn't too high with what I bought I might just raise it on some bits for where I might plant and possibly also where I'll place the rocks and wood.

Quick question. Is it okay for me to wash the sand 2 weeks before setting up the tank? I'm going on holiday next week so thinking if I wash it before I go hopefully it will be clean and dry then

yes it's fine to wash the sand and put it in a clean bucket or plastic bag while you're away. If you have the tank you can even set that up now and fill it with sand and water and do other stuff when you return.

Would love to do that but the problem is the tank is going in my room which hasn't been finished yet. After I come back from holiday I just need to wait for the carpet to arrive before I can put the tank and cabinet in. I'm thinking if I clean the sand now and leave it for the next week it'll hopefully be dry when I set up the tank and hopefully make it a little easier when I put it in and aquascape.

Planning I might set it up and leave it running for 2 or 3 days. A day after or on the first day I might place one of my filter sponges in my current tank in to jump start the bacteria division.

Tell them you want concrete or wood floors and not carpet because you have concerns about the tank leaking :)
no probably not a good thing to say :)

If the sand is spread out somewhere it will dry but if it's left in a bucket it will probably remain damp in the bottom.

If you have another tank that is already running with established filters, you can set the new tank up, let it run for 24-48 hours, then add a filter, plants and fish. You will have an instant cycled tank.

Thanks Colin well I might have to see on using another bucket then to spread the sand out than leaving it all in one bucket. In my room my dad put new floor boards plus we also noticed the place where we will place the tank has 2 beams under the floor boards so that will support the weight of the tank.

I have a 28 litre tank running currently for 6 years now so yeah after about 2 days of leaving the new tank running I'll transfer the filter media, moss ball and fish into the new tank :) . I'll say I'll not add any more fish until after a month so I give time for that bacteria from the cycled filter media to spread and grow onto the new tank's filter media.

I just cleaned the sand. Water looks clear but not crystal clear but not worried as the filter will help. Can sand go rock hard when it dries? I'm just thinking now if thats possible or if I'm overworrying

To give a late update I came back from holiday last Sunday and the sand looked dry. I think it's very slightly damp from the bottom but I stir it around to put the bottom bits up to the top. Also placed them away out from the open just so it's away from anyone and hopefully away from any chemicals which could accidently fall in it

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back