salt problem AND fin problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wrs

Michelle's Hot
Reaction score
this pet store lady says to use salt in the aquirium but i said my cat f. cant have it and she didnt say it was bad. she said something else which i posed up in chit chat.
so i put some in but what will happen to the cat fish. its SOOOOOO cute and little. its one of my favorites.

also its fin on the left side, the first one, it got eaten and theres just a little bit of fin left, it looks all fuzzy and the bone. its a northernlong nose one. the fin got eaten by my guppy. and i love the guppy 2. its really cute to. lol. it used to be so easy with goldfish. lol

btw it was a profesional aquarium store. i think. lol. j/k it was i think this lady on something though

I have always heard salt (any kind) is bad for any type of cat fish. One of my cories was very sick once and I had to place it in the hosptial tank immediately. I flipped out when I remembered there was still a good deal of salt in it from the last sick fish and I forgot to clean it out. I had to set up yet another isolated tank for it. It died a few hours later.
But, then again, it was very sick, so it could have died from illness instead of the salt. Or maybe the salt increased its illness.

Can't help ya with the fin problem. It should grow back.

Salt is and isn't bad for cories. Basically it will shorten their lives from all I have heard. If it's a life and death medication matter or a mistake made by forgetting about salt or going with a lfs worker's bad advice, then it's ok. One of my lfs' keeps all fish in FW salt tanks, including cories and loaches. I don't approve of this, but I purchased 2 cories from them before I knew about this, and both cories have been doing amazingly well.

As for the fin, the fact that it's down to the bone isn't good, but it might still heal well. Meds like melafix, kanacyn, maracyn, etc. will help.

thanks. i hope it does heal, its still a baby so i want it 2 be able to grow and live along time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back