Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Salt everywhere! need to cover tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Hardware' started by agusf, Jan 10, 2019 at 3:31 PM.

1. agusf

agusf Member

Hey friends,

So while in the process of cycling my tank - as I somewhat documented in a separate thread - I left my apt with the bare tank, only treated saltwater, & with heater, filter, & air pump running, for three weeks while I was out for holidays so the filter could cycle and the beneficial bacteria / nitrogen cycle flourish.

I came back to about half the water evaporated and dried up salt crystal all over the tank - inside & outside - as well as the table, floor, and my printer next to it.
    here's a video assessing the salt damage

So, evaporation is my best guess - all though streams of salt crystal on the sides seem suspicious... Either way, from my experience with freshwater tanks before I'm not surprised the water evaporated, and I was naive not to cover the top of the tank before I left... I was rushing to get it running before I left and I bought the glass tank itself second hand without a cover, so I just left it open.

to correct this issue and move forward, I'm guessing I need to get a cover for the tank? the top rim at least has an inset plastic rim where a glass cover can lie, or I could get a hood cover with a tank light. because I'll need a light anyways. I'm guessing my best shot is to get both of those, anyways. Considering I bought the tank 2nd hand and don't know manufacturer or model no., I should probably get a custom-cut panel of glass, and try my best to get a hood that fits the top rim or just get a overhanging light? Where (which store perhaps - in the U.S.) could I get a custom-cut panel of glass - affordably?

Thanks,

Agus

2. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

The salt comes from air bubbles that pop and leave a tiny amount of salt and other minerals on the glass. The more aeration you have, the more bubbles and the more salt that gets everywhere.

Coverglass make a huge difference to reducing evaporation and minimising salt build up. You can get coverglass from any glass company (places that sell windows), or petshops. Most pet shops can buy in glass to whatever size you need.

When you buy coverglass, get 4, 5 or 6mm thick glass so it is less likely to crack and chip. Thinner glass (3mm) regularly chips and is not worth using. You will pay a bit more for the thicker glass but it is worth it. 4 or 5mm thick glass is the most commonly used on small tanks.

Get the glass in several pieces so it is easier to handle and put on the tank. Have a section or corner cut off and get a handle attached to it so you can lift it up and feed the fish, then put it back down.

Make sure the glass edges have been sanded to remove any sharp edges.

Wash the glass well with warm soapy water before use to remove any oil on it from the cutting process. Use a perfume free soap and do not use a disinfectant or anti-bacterial soap.

--------------------------
    Try to keep light units off the marine tank because salt can get into the fittings and cause them to become live, and you get zapped when you touch the light unit or tank. Raising the light unit a couple of inches above the coverglass will help prevent salt creep into the light unit.

Keeping the coverglass clean and free of salt will also reduce the chance of salt creeping into the light unit.