Sailfin & Balloon Mollies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MadisonHolland

Reaction score
I had a Sailfin molly with six neon tetras to start the tank, it has now been a month and today I bought two balloon mollies and a beta. I was assured that everyone would get on and it would be fine. However, they have only been in the tank a few hours and I'm nervous as the sailfin molly's behavior is now viscous she nips at the new fish and chases them. she will barely let them eat and I don't know what to do.

can you post a picture of sailfin molly?
if you have a male molly it will chase other males out of the area and the males will pester females in an attempt to breed with them.

I'm not sure what your water chemistry is like but try to keep the pH of the tank water around 7.0 to 7.4 and the general hardness (GH) over 150ppm.

Yes, we need more data. Including, the tank size, and your source (tap) water parameters. And was the tank cycled?

I had a Sailfin molly with six neon tetras to start the tank, it has now been a month and today I bought two balloon mollies and a beta. I was assured that everyone would get on and it would be fine. However, they have only been in the tank a few hours and I'm nervous as the sailfin molly's behavior is now viscous she nips at the new fish and chases them. she will barely let them eat and I don't know what to do.
Is the betta being housed with the other fish? This is a big NO as most betta don't do well in community tanks. Either they are far too aggressive or other fish will nip at their fins. Mollies themselves aren't known to be horrible fin nippers like tiger barbs and the like, but they DO nip fins on occasion.

Most reactions

trending

Back