Sagittaria subulata planted into sand

MariusC

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question that was fairly discussed in many threads all over the internet but I want to make sure there isn't anything else I have missed. I currently have my aquarium with only sand on the bottom because of my corrys. It's a very fine sand and I would say maybe 3-4cm deep. I only have Anubias on driftwood and some floating duck weed + water lettuce. I would like to plant some bottom "carpet", mostly to offer a refuge for the RCS. I had luck in the past with Sagittaria subulata but planted into substrate. Now with a sandy bottom I have two challenges and maybe some of you can help me :
1. Where I can buy this plant around St. Albans area (can't online as it is too cold).
2. Is there any easier way of rooting this plant than use some root tabs and some ceramic rings to keep in place ?

just plant it in the sand, thats what it grows in out in the rivers
I've read that you can do it without any kind of substrate but I think a couple of root tabs won't hurt. The hardest part right now is finding a place where I can buy it :(

Youll need root tabs anyway as sand doesn't have any nutrients so the plant won't grow all that well without fertilisation, as far as anchoring you could try attaching it to rock

Liquid fertilizer is an option, and this will also benefit the Anubias and floating plants, though you may or may not need fertilizer depending upon the natural nutrients.

Cories are good at uprooting small/light rooted plants, I have this issue with the pygmy chain swords, because the cory food tabs/pellets get pushed by the feeding cories into the plants and in their feeding frenzy the plants can be uprooted. Using smallish river rock stones around the base can sometimes prevent this.

Most reactions

trending

Back