Safe To Use 10W Heater In 1.5 Gallon Tank For Betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vanvran

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I purchased a Marina 10W heater and want to be sure it's ok to put in a 1.5 gallon tank.  Label says it is ok for tanks up to 2.5 gallons. I also bought a Hydor slim heater that's 7.5 watts.  That label says it's for a 2 to 5 gallon tank.  I don't understand why the higher watt heater is ok for 1.5, but not the 7.5.  I don't want to risk burning my house down to keep a betta warm.  :)  I will only keep a betta in the tank.  Both heaters only raise the temp 4 degrees above room temp, so it seems that I won't be able to really regulate the tank, but I can't seem to find a heater for small tank other than these two.  Can  anyone with a 1.5 gallon tank recommend a safe way to heat the tank?

The problem with having a tank less than 2.5 gallons or larger is the element of heating the tank sufficiently.   It is very easy to overheat a container of that size so careful monitoring is essential.  I would say that yes a 10W heater should be ok but you do need a good thermometer on the inside of the tank.  The tank temperature needs to stay at least 78F and try to keep it as stable as possible.  

Edit:   Instead of a 10W non adjustable heater, an adjustable 25W heater would be better and be more reliable.

Wildbetta is correct, I can't understand why anyone would use a none regulated heater.

To answer the original question, a google search shows the marina is regulated to 26 degrees Centigrade (but not adjustable) and so could be safely used in a small tank. Whether the betta should be in a 1.5 gallon tank is debatable.

Dave, as I said, I haven't been able to find a heater that is adjustable for a small tank.  I'm earnestly trying to set up the proper environment for my future betta.  I don't want to risk a fire to ensure that my fish is warm enough, however, which is the reason I posted here - to see if it was safe to use a 10W in a 1.5 gallon tank. 

My first betta lived in a "vase" for months before I realized he should have a larger home (he was a birthday gift and I had no idea how to care for a betta).  I moved him to a 5 gallon tank, heated and filtered.  The next betta had a 20 gallon tank where he was protected from the filter, however, he had developed a type of tumor and didn't live long.  I thought a smaller tank with a very gentle air bubble filtration and a small heater would be a suitable environment.  Guess I was wrong.

hillbilly said:
To answer the original question, a google search shows the marina is regulated to 26 degrees Centigrade (but not adjustable) and so could be safely used in a small tank. Whether the betta should be in a 1.5 gallon tank is debatable.

Not sure what "regulated to 26 degrees Centigrade" means.  Can you explain?  : ) 
 hillbilly, do you mean that the Marina will keep the temp always at 78 degrees?

Have you tried eBay for a small heater/stat. I'm sure I saw some a little while back. Failing that there is the option of separate heater and stat. By doing this you can have a higher wattage heater.

dave840f1 said:
Have you tried eBay for a small heater/stat. I'm sure I saw some a little while back. Failing that there is the option of separate heater and stat. By doing this you can have a higher wattage heater.
No, I haven't tried ebay.  I'm confused -- is "stat" the thermostat?   I am asking about a separate heater, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say "there is the option of separate heater and stat......you can have a higher wattage heater.  can you explain?  Thanks, dave!

Yes stat is an abbreviation for thermostat . When I say separate heater I mean you can buy just the heater with no temperature control built in, the separate thermostat controls the temperature in the tank. I hope this explanation is ok, never be afraid to ask a question no matter how trivial you think it is we are hear to help each other. I hope everything goes well with your set ups.

vanvran said:
Dave, as I said, I haven't been able to find a heater that is adjustable for a small tank.  I'm earnestly trying to set up the proper environment for my future betta.  I don't want to risk a fire to ensure that my fish is warm enough, however, which is the reason I posted here - to see if it was safe to use a 10W in a 1.5 gallon tank. 

My first betta lived in a "vase" for months before I realized he should have a larger home (he was a birthday gift and I had no idea how to care for a betta).  I moved him to a 5 gallon tank, heated and filtered.  The next betta had a 20 gallon tank where he was protected from the filter, however, he had developed a type of tumor and didn't live long.  I thought a smaller tank with a very gentle air bubble filtration and a small heater would be a suitable environment.  Guess I was wrong.

Not sure what "regulated to 26 degrees Centigrade" means.  Can you explain?  : ) 

hillbilly, do you mean that the Marina will keep the temp always at 78 degrees?
If the heater you have is this one then yes as it says "it is designed to reach and maintain the set temperature of 26ºC (78ºF)."

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back