Rummynose Tetras Or Harlequin Rasboras?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jay2k6ie

Reaction score
Ok so im cycling a 64G community tank at the minute and I am thinking about what fish I want to put in as part of a community tank.. I have my heart set on a 20-24 strong school and the two top contenders are rummys or harlequins rasboras and I cant decide which would be better.

From my point of view I just want a really nice close knit active shoal that will get on well with the other future tank mates that will include pearl gourami (3f,1m), corys,otos,pearl danios, blue rams (1m 1f)

the other reason is favor of the rasboras is that they are half the price of the rummys and hardier fish.. I need 20-24 and over here the rummys cost €20 for 6, rasboras cost less than half that..

So what do people think as far as having a nice shoal is concerned..who would go for what and why factoring in cost,future tank mates,shoaling ability,beauty etc etc...

Cheers

I'd tend to lean towards the rasboras. With the rummynose, you'd probably want to wait until the tank had been running a while before adding them, but rasboras could be part of the early stocking. Also, since you mention pearl danios, I think they'd be a bit more distinct from them than the tetras, which have pretty similar body shape.

On the other hand, I think harlequins tend to stick towards the upper part of the tank, which would overlap them with the danios and leave the middle more open - if you are willing to wait and possibly buy them in shifts to slowly build up the shoal, rummynose might fill out the tank a bit more.

Id say the rummynoses, but like corleone says, wait until the tank is more mature, as rummys dont do well in newly set up tanks apparently.

As you wouldnt want to add all 24 in one go anyway, you could stagger it at 6 at a time, thus not making such a big impact on your wallet.

Harlequins are nice little fish, they do shoal well together IME, yes hardier too and can be added once the tank has finished cycling.

Wow, really difficult choice! I had always wanted the rasboras and now have them and really like them. They have wonderfully subtle colorations of gold moving to pink to red. They do shoal although I somehow think rummynoses would shoal a little tighter. I'm tempted to think that for a large shoal, the rummys would be a bit more stunning, especially from a slightly greater distance approaching the tank. I agree though that the rasboras are a great first fish along with zebras of course. And its true that the rasboras will hang higher with the zebras, probably more so than the rummys. In a decently planted tank you couldn't go wrong with a big shoal of either of these!

~~waterdrop~~

both lovely in a shoal but my favourite little fish is the rummy nose

rummy nose tetras are one of the most striking species of tetra, they are packed with colour the tail being my favourite part. they also shoal very tightly too! but IME they like currents and softer water

IMO, there are few better sights than a decent sized shoal of Harlequin Rasbora in a well-planted tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back