Rubber Lip Pleco, Hi Fin Spotted Pleco

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
So, I was at petsmart the other day (I know, a mortal sin), and saw all of their pleco's were on sale. So, I picked up two. I know, no research, how dare I? They were only 1 dollar a piece. So, I have done some research and I haven't found much on them, espcially the Rubber Lip. Would anyone care to enlighten me? Also, they are in a 20g with 4 Albino Bristlenose and 4 guppies. Now, I know. Flame war from everyone, for small of a tank. They are temporarily in there. I am going to sell them at the next fish auction that our club sponsors. I do weekly 25-35 percent water changes, including gravel vacums. They are in no danger of being stunted, or getting ill.

Hi the rubberlip is a good choice for your tank, but the other one I think will be L75 para pleco. Mine is about six and a half inches and still growing and should do all the way upto 9ish inches. Thats the one that will need a bigger tank.

Im not having a go but being so sarcastic in your post wont really help you get answers.

I wasn't aiming to be saracastic as much as awnsering questions and/or accusations before they might be made. As stated previously, the Pelco's will be sold in about 2 or so months. I would just like to know a bit about them.

What info are you after?.

The bulldog/rubberlipplec, you will find loads of info about on the net but unless you state the actual other plec species, it's very hard to give any sort of info.

I googled Rubber Lip pleco and I haven't found anything useful. I am looking for general info.

I googled Rubber Lip pleco and I haven't found anything useful. I am looking for general info.

Try googling bulldog plec.

Quick link here to one of the species which is L187a....Here!!

As for the other plec, species rather than name, hi-fin spotted pleco could be anything tbh.. I'm thinking maybe L200 high fin, green phantom but as i said it could be anything

I got some pictures! They aren't the best:

Spotted Sailfin Pleco:
002-42.jpg

Rubber Lip Pleco (he is under the male albino bristlenose):
003-37.jpg

I have a rubber nose that I got from petsmart. He was very differant looking like nothing I have ever seen before he is not your normal rubbernose so I had to get his.

They are wild caught. Like cooler water. They need good water quality so keep up with the wc like it sounds like you do. They dot eat perpared fish food well or at all. It's worth a try I had an albino BN first. These fish did not get along they fought any time they came near eachother. They were both 3" and in a 55 gal with plenty of rocks and room. I'm pretty sure my RN pleco killed my bn pleco. That's not normal but can happen and like j said the rubbernose I have is not your everyday one.

My RN pleco is still doing well living off of only the algea in my tank. It bothers me that I can't get him to feed on any thing besides that. I did buy a veggie clip to feed him veggies but I'm pretty sure my severum ate it all.

These guys also need well oxagenated water and a strong flow to keep them happy. They come from mountain streams used in fountains to keep them clean. Temp being 58f - 75f. Most are good with other plecos I had a freak. They say that most rubber nose like to be kept with other RN plecos. The spotted RN pleco get to be 6" but the stripped ones only get 3"-4". So your tank is fine.

What other stuff do you want to know?

Here is mine.
PB211471.jpg

Thank you for the information! I wish I could get a better picture of mine! He is very shy, appearing as a shadow in most pictures (the one on here as an example). He eats the pellets I feed mine. He gets along fine with all of my BN's. He also gets along with my sailfin spotted pleco (if he didn't get so darn big I would LOVE to keep him!). The spotted is such a cute little fish. But, he's gonna get 18" =[ . My pH is 8.4, and the RN doesn't seem to have any problems. I was not aware that they are wild caught! Where did you here about this? I am doing weekly gravel vacs to get any uneaten food and poo out of the tank.

just a pointer, get a cover for your heater asap!! poor plecos rest on them etc and when it comes on it WILL burn them :(

Never had a cover for any of my plec tanks and not once have i had a problem in over 15 years. Saying that a guard is always a good option even to be on the safe side ;)

just a pointer, get a cover for your heater asap!! poor plecos rest on them etc and when it comes on it WILL burn them :(

Never had a cover for any of my plec tanks and not once have i had a problem in over 15 years. Saying that a guard is always a good option even to be on the safe side ;)
i found out the hard way.my gn has a slight burn mark by her dorsal fin :sad: heater is now inaccessible to my plecos :good:

I have never experienced a problem either. I have 7 pleco's in a 10g tank right now (temporary!, they are being held their until their bigger tank is set back up again) and they haven't been burned by the heater in there. Or in their bigger tank. Never even heard of it happening before.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back