rough looking scales?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tishygirl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My gold mollies both appear to be crusting ? best way i can describe it. I got them under a new light, and they look all rough on their heads and down to the middle of their fin? What is this? One of them looks like she might have ich. couple white speckles on her head, the other nothing like that, just looks rough on top of her body

tishygirl said:
My gold mollies both appear to be crusting ? best way i can describe it. I got them under a new light, and they look all rough on their heads and down to the middle of their fin? What is this? One of them looks like she might have ich. couple white speckles on her head, the other nothing like that, just looks rough on top of her body
[snapback]885528[/snapback]​

rough scales liek are they sticking up off the fish... if this is so then it sounds liek dropsy. which is do to poor water quality. the white spots could be ich which is caused by stress in the fish. if the fish is diseased then it is stressed and which ick will start to be cocme aparent in your fish.

i would sperate the fish that look this way and treat the fish. you can give them a salt bath to help with the disease and then if it is ick you can treat for that.

here is a post on another forum about dropsy you should read it and see if this is what your fish has and then treat for it.

http://www.guppies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6576

I'm pretty sure its not dropsy. they arent sticking out, just rough and crusty looking. like ich.. isnt totally white, but light... How do I go about a salt bath? I have salt in my tank, the doc wellmans? aquarium salt...1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. But that obviously isnt good enough.

so instructions on a 'salt bath' would be super ! :) thanks!

Any flicking and rubbing on objects, laboured breathing, are scales look like they are peeling.

No, nothing like that... they act like they are fine, quite active. Eating, playing, no rubbing or peeling. No breathing troubles.

Wilder said:
Any flicking and rubbing on objects, laboured breathing, are scales look like they are peeling.
[snapback]885713[/snapback]​

Try some salt baths sounds like a parasite is the crustyness white in colour.

Does it look like salt sprinkled on her? Because otherwise it may be markings, or something else...and you don't want to treat the wrong thing! Also, any chance of a picture, as that could help a lot? :thumbs:

Does it sound like this.not the writer of this information

Lymphocystis
Caused by an iridovirus
The virus causes crusty grey-white lumps to develop on the skin and fins. These may affect freshwater or marine fishes, and sometimes take on the colour of the underlying skin. These lumps are clusters of enlarged cells. The disease is viral, but may be triggered by stress, poor handling or poor water. Some fish may carry the virus without showing symptoms. The disease rarely kills, although lesions may become secondarily infected. Ideally, infected fish should be isolated. There is no known treatment. Some vets recommend the surgical removal of the lesions.

yeah, that sounds closer than anything else I have read.... no known treatment ? :(

Its just lumpy crusty skin, looks like there might be a little ich, as there is a few white specks, but the crusty lumpy area is mostly just a bit lighter than their gold skincolor, but not white...

Hoping it wasn't but here is some more information, not the author of this below.

Lymphocystis

Symptoms:

Fish infected with Lymphocystis will present with clusters of whitish, berry-like growths on the skin and fins. These "clusters" may resemble small clutches of eggs or cauliflower (hence, it is sometimes called Cauliflower Disease). They will be clearly visible and may even become extremely large. This disease often affects the fins first.

Cause:

Viral infection. The virus will eventually kill the fish if it is unable to mount a strong enough immune response as the virus rampages through the fish’s tissues, destroying its cells.

Treatment:

As with all viral infections, there is no suitable cure or efficacious treatment; however Quick Cure claims to be helpful. I have also heard of people who trim the fish's fins, followed by several baths in Malachite Green. Fortunately, this disease is uncommon and in some cases, infected fish are able to recover quickly without treatment.

Lymphocystis is highly infectious. When infected cells from the fish’s skin or fins burst the virus is spread throughout the aquarium and can remain contagious for periods of up to two months. Fish not showing symptoms should be removed from the aquarium and placed in quarantine, away from other fish, for at least 60 days. Note, remove uninfected fish, not the other way around because the aquarium has become contaminated. The infected aquarium should be emptied and thoroughly disinfected before returning any fish to it. Do not use soap to clean the aquarium.

hmm, its not like cauliflower.... I'm so confused.......

something else weird. I have been missing a fish all morning, I cant find it anywhere... and I just lost 2 fish, a platy and a molly, for no reason I can tell, they were swimming this morning, eating, and just now I noticed they werent anywhere to be seen, looked around, and they were at the bottom :(

I checked my water this morning, everything was normal, did a 10% water change 'cause the ammonia looked like it was creeping up on .25 again... what in the world is happening in my tank ? :(

I would try some salt baths to see if that helps.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back