Rosy Barb just sitting...

parker313

Back Again
Reaction score
I had 3 rosy barbs and just got 2 more at my lfs this morning. 1 is doing just fine, but the other is just sitting at the bottom of the tank. Seems to be breathing at a normal rate and if I swish the net at him, he moves. He seems to be moving just fine when he does move, but 99% of the time, he's just resting on the bottom.

Is this normal "settling in" behavior?

I've NEVER gotten a sick fish from the lfs, so I don't have reason to suspect illness.

--Kristin

I wouldn't say it's "normal" settling in behavior, but that could be what it is, nonetheless. Normally they'll hide behind plants, ornaments, etc., and barring that they'll hang out in a corner. Could also be minor "shock" from change in water chemistry from the LFS. Some individuals just don't handle it as well as others. My guess is it's some manner of "new environment" disorientation.

I'd just give it some time. If it's still hanging at the bottom and not scooting around in a couple or three days, I'd start getting concerned.

pendragon!

Thanks again ;)

He is moving around *some*. His color is OK (for what that's worth) and his buddies aren't picking at him or anything.

The other one has schooled right up with the previous 3 so hopefully this one will too.

Well, the darn thing just went fins up on me :/

Damaged in the capture/transit procedure perhaps? Bad luck anyway.

Possibly. It's the only time I've ever gotten a bad fish from the lfs. It was an exchange for some others I was having trouble with being too aggressive to my barbs.

Most reactions

Back