Ropefish Will Not Eat!

Tim95

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My new ropefish will not eat, it's been about a week. He is alone for now, looking for more friends. I've tried feeding him wafers, mealworms, freeze dried blood worms, ham, recently dead fish. He's about 10'' long, need help!

what are your water parameters and tank size?

what is the temp of the water---they like it between 79-86 degrees

as far as diet,  a quote from liveaquaria.com follows

The Rope Fish is a carnivorous fish that requires live food in its diet. Chopped meats, beef heartinsect larva, as well as tubifex, bloodworms and earthworms may also be included in the Rope Fish diet.

It is a 55g long, temp is 78 degrees, Ph is about 7.5, ammonia levels are just above zero. 

has the tank been cycled?   any ammonia is too much---do a 50% water change

what type of substrate do you have?

what is your nitrite level?

It's been cycling for the past couple months. I did a 50% water change yesterday.
Sand substrate, lightly planted, nitrite is 0

so you're doing a fish-in cycle---seems you're not fully cycled yet---keep up with the water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites as low as possible

How long have you had him? It may still be settling in.

A little over a week, and yes, seems it is not completely cycled as of yet

Can you possibly get your hands on some mature media from a friend or something? That would help.
Why don't you try some frozen blood worms (defrosted of course)? Most fish go nuts for them, and I'd think are certainly preferred over the freeze dried ones.

I got some red wrigglers(Worms) He is eating them happily, thank goodness!

I'm so glad to hear that he's eating! ^_^

fish.gif
 good luck with your fish

my ropefish is not eating also but has blue around its eyes face looks swollen dont know what to do please help

I have had my ropefish for over a year now and he only will eat live worms. consider getting a box and media to raise red wigglers in from a bait store, they will reproduce and highly reduce your cost of food. Plus you know they are being kept and fed in a pesticide free environment

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back