Root tabs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SnailPocalypse

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I am going to get Flourish root tabs the only issue is I don't know how to plant them when I already have rooted plants.Any ideas?

You take one tab and poke it down into the substrate, about 1-2 inches from the crown of the plant if you can (sometimes the plant may be growing up between rocks or wood and you just poke the tab down beside the plant), just sothat it is buried. I would only do this with larger plants. Some people cut the tab in half (use a sharp knife like an exacto) and place them within plant groupings.

Another option would be to go with the API tabs because they break apart easily and can be more strategically placed around the plant as opposed to directly beneath the crown

Another option would be to go with the API tabs because they break apart easily and can be more strategically placed around the plant as opposed to directly beneath the crown

I can't recommend API tabs. I have seen real messes if these are disturbed (doesn't occur with Flourish Tabs).

Years ago Nutrafin made a real super substrate plant stick; they lasted one year, and they were amazing for plant growth. But they don't seem to make them any longer.

I've also used a European (German, maybe Dutch) tab, 20 years ago, they came in a green and yellow box I think. Haven't seem them recently, but they seemed to work.

Byron.

Yeah, API tabs are more of a tums like texture and consistency, while seachem is more of a gummy bear/gelatin texture. The API will break or crumble easier and dissolve faster but i like the fact that it is more macro dense then seachem is because I use comprehensive flourish which is more micro nutrient dense as is the case with their root tabs while API is richer in macros so you kind of get the best of both worlds by mixing them

Well I think my water is deficient in magnesium.Speaking of which is magnesium a micro?So would API or Seachem be best for overall nutrient.Anyways it seems once I get the better,brighter bulb.I will probably need the rootabs for more nutrients and better plant growth.But on a side note.Like my desk lamp setup? :)

Yeah, API tabs are more of a tums like texture and consistency, while seachem is more of a gummy bear/gelatin texture. The API will break or crumble easier and dissolve faster but i like the fact that it is more macro dense then seachem is because I use comprehensive flourish which is more micro nutrient dense as is the case with their root tabs while API is richer in macros so you kind of get the best of both worlds by mixing them

Interesting, but I have a different perspective. I have zero GH/KH source water, so the only mineral/nutrient additives are fish foods and plant fertilizers. I was using Equilbirum to provide more of the macros, but for two years now I have not been using this, and instead use Flourish Tabs for the larger plants. They are just as lush. I only use one dose, not even that, of Flourish Comprehensive. I am more concerned about what gets inside the fish, and I think (from my experiences certainly) that we tend to overload fertilizers.

Well I think my water is deficient in magnesium.Speaking of which is magnesium a micro?So would API or Seachem be best for overall nutrient.Anyways it seems once I get the better,brighter bulb.I will probably need the rootabs for more nutrients and better plant growth.But on a side note.Like my desk lamp setup? :)

I haven't seen the light, will look for that. From my research, Seachem Flourish Tabs are better than API. Magnesium is one of nine macro nutrients, and there are eight micro nutrients. But don't get bogged down in terminology. These nutrients interact, and that can cause issues too if there is too much, just as much as too little of this or that.

I've been following a few of your threads regarding this tank setup and I like what you've done. Nice low tech, cheap set up and I hope the lamp works out for you!
As for what is best, it just depends on too many factors, I say try everything at some point just for the experience and see what does best for you. Yes magnesium is a macro, and as you eluded to potentially upgrading your lighting I think long term you're more likely to run into macro deficiencies as opposed to micros. If you dose flourish comp you will probably get enough trace and micros as you will need, especially as you learn more about the plant nutrient topic and discover how to adequately dose it for your purposes. But generally speaking as light gets more high tech, macro deficiencies are more common in my opinion, especially nitrogen and that's why I like to compliment the micros I get from flourish comp with API macros from the tabs. There's no wrong answer it all comes down to specifics in your local enviornment ie tap water as well as the needs of your plants

Im actually confused now.Api or seachem?I already use seachem flourish comp for liquid but that doesn't seem to be enough.Also my desk lamp light says that the 13 watt CFL is "as high" as it could go.So what if I use a higher wattage of CFL I felt the lamp and it is not hot at all so I would think a bit higher watt as that is what I believe a stronger bulb would be.Would be fine.Also the rocks in all my scapes are from my backyard.I do the vinegar test and then boil them if the rocks don't bubble from the vinegar.

Sorry about making it confusing, I suppose I was doing more bantering ideas with Byron then addressing your question.

Seachem flourish root tabs and API root tabs are for all intents and purposes identical and competing products. They are extremely similar and the most important fluctuations between the two products are the percentages of nutrients between brands. API brand products tend to have higher levels of macro nutrients like nitrogen while seachem products tend to be higher in micros (trace elements) the other characteristics tend to be more preference based. Go with either one and you will still get the job done.
As for wattage, yes it's pretty safe to upgrade the wattage of the bulb so long as you don't exceed it by too much. You will use more power but it's unlikely to burn out or catch fire, especially if you've got a surge protector or GFCI outlet. Though doing this will void warranties and usually decrease the expected lifespan of the lamp

I also use Seachem Flourish Root tabs and there's nothing "gummy bear/gelatin like" about them - they are little green rocks that seem to dissolve very slowly over time. I haven't used the API product so I can't really compare them although I believe they dissolve much more quickly.
From time to time I have added Seachem Equilibrium, but for the most part in addition to some root tabs for the amazon swords, I have been using Easy Green (from Aquarium Co-op) and Seachem Flourish Comprehensive....both in small amounts following the weekly water change. In my 60g, I add 4 pumps of Easy Green (suggested is 1 pump for every 10g/weekly) , then a capful of flourish comp the next day. BUT every tank is different in so many ways, not the least of which is the plant mix and density...and more light promotes more growth which requires more nutrients. You basically have to "listen" to the plants...(EDIT): But at the end of the day, it's a fish tank with plants so as Byron points out, we should fertilize on the minimal side so as not to negatively affect our fish.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back