Ridiculously Fat Zebra Danio

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

homerhotspur

Reaction score
One of my 3 Zebra Danios has become hugely fat over the last 2 maybe 3 weeks. It almost resembles some kind of cartoon character with a great fat stomach and tiny fins at the side flapping away. I assumed it was pregnant and still do but how long is it normal for them to go on like this? It's body is so stretched that it is a mass of red veins and blotches and looks almost transparent under the light. I really don't know for sure if either of the other 2 Danios are males( or whether this one is female) but they do not seem interested in the situation at all. In fact, one of them is virtually disabled itself having miraculously survived an illness a couple of months ago and spends most of its time swimming around the top of the tank. I have tried various remedies eg anti bacterial and swimbladder just in case the ' pregnant' Danio may also have some infection.

What do people think. Pregnant or ill?

Thanks

I think your referring to gravid rather than pregnant.

Zebra Danios like being in rations of 1M:2F, i think thats more than likely why the other female is so egg heavy. Id try getting some more Zebra Danios. 5 in total is a good number.

othe than that, id make sure there staple diet is as varied as possible to prevent constipation.

hope that helps :)

Danios don't get pregnant, they are egg-layers. I'd post in the emergency section.

I originally had 5 zebra danios when I cycled my tank.

I now have two left and one of them is also ridiculously fat.

I was really worried when I first noticed his unusual growth and started a thread on it but didnt really get any help :\

He has been fat for months now, he is literally twice the size of the other one, he swallows granules and tetra crips whole (even my cichlids seem to chew there food lol)

and no he is not constipated I feed my fish peas and other vegetables aswell.

I came to the conclusion that he must be a glutton, but good for him survival of the fittest and although he is fat he is very active and looks quite healthy. Prehaps it is some genetic fault with danios? either way im not loosing any sleep over it he cost me 50 cents, helped my cycle my tank i respect him for that, if he wants to be fat good for him lol.

Most reactions

Back