Restarting Tank After 8 Years - Journal

jasmas

Reaction score
OK decided to start a journal of my tank from resurrection to recycled, then hopefully to restocked with
fish.gif

fish.gif
, which at the moment we (the she of we is not yet here but having input from overseas) are thinking of African cichlids, but have time to decide.

welcomeani.gif

I've posted a number of questions here in the last 4 or 5 days, which has helped me start off on the right foot again, i think. Wish us luck!!

The tank is a Juwel 400, 1500x480x525mm (LxWxH), which has been sitting idle for 8 years, when I was working overseas. Anyways I'm back and so glad I didn't sell my tank as my mother was hoping. as they are now over a £1000 new !!! I think I paid about £350 ten years back, as had a deal.

Firstly the gravel and plant sub-strate has been removed and disposed of last Friday the 19th of June. Then due to the fact my mum, may, or may not have, cleaned the tank with soapy water all those years ago. So it's been given a scrub with white vinegar solution and then rinsed a good few times, on the 22nd.

The internal filter material has been discarded and replaced with new Juwel jumbo coarse and fine sponges. Also have an external Eheim Pro 2 filter that I thought the heater of, was corroded. That along with the internal pump has been soaked in white vinegar over night and come up like new.

The tank was half filled to check for leaks then emptied again. Then I've started to rinse and put sand substrate to the tank (JBL Sansibar, Orange) Initially had 40Kg but increased that to 60kg (it's getting expensive already). It's been well rinsed in batches in a bucket, which was hard work.

Then filled the tank to 100L using Tetra Aqua safe as directed. Then made a wise purchase - A new hose adapter for the multi tap in my kitchen to complete filling the tank directly, adding aqua safe periodically as required.

This is now the 23rd - pH 7.6, KH 5, GH off the scale 20+. The hardness test kit is old, so ordered new online to ensure reading is correct.

Tank is really cloudy, you can't even see thru it!  Running the internal filter and will start cycle once Ammonia arrives from the postman.

cloudytank.jpg

I was totally honest then as the ammonia has already arrived. I needed to eat so posted.

It's now the 24th June so this is real time. Arrived home and ammonia has arrived, also filter material for the Ehiem.

Checked out the Eheim in the bath and not sure it's working correctly, also need new ball media. Decided to start cycle with just the internal filter, will introduce the external if it's working once I get all the media.

Concerns over the Ammonia I got (Jeyes Kleen Off) but after feedback here, happy it was Ammonium Hydroxide 9.5% even if not identified as such on the bottle. Needed to add 12ml as per the calculator on this site for 380L of water.

Due to uncertainty added 6ml and checked after 30mins. was around 1.5ppm, added the rest and after another 30mins it seemed to be only about 2ppm. Added approx 2ml more then when I checked again maybe 45mins later was around the 4ppm mark. Difficult to tell as natural light has gone. 

Due to concerns did a 25% water change and will check ammonia again in the morning, hopefully it's around 3.0ppm.

It's underway
59.gif
, all comments or advice gladly accepted. In all honesty tho' are these kits any good? I got the API freshwater master test kit for £30!! 3.0ppm is not even listed and how difficult is it to get an accurate reading. Fortunately I got the old cards which are separate cards with plenty of white area. This one is combined (no doubt to save the company money) and not conducive to getting a good reading.

Happy anyways & good night. 

Reading the chart as best I can, ammonia is actually 3.0ppm

Tanks is already clearing, it's possible to see the sand. Will now follow the cycling guide on this forum.

Have checked what african cichlids are available locally. Thinking it's maybe better to purchase online?

Day 4 of cycle. Tank is now maybe 80% clear. It seems my external filter is not working, a supplier has offered to have a look at it. Most probably go for a new one, will do some research on how much the tank needs to be turned over, for Mbuna. 

Not that light is needed just yet, purchased new bulbs 36W, company sent 54W which don't fit. The 36W arrived yesterday, but the unit is not working!! Will get new just before stocking the tank. 

Ammonia maybe a touch below 3.0ppm. Nitrite zero. KH 6. GH 8.

Day 7
Ammonia 2.5ppm but difficult to tell, it's dropping tho'. Nitrite 0.

Purchased a simple internal thermometer and located it at the opposite corner of the tank to the heater 85 deg F.
Ordered the Fluval Fx6 online for £190 from garden for less.

Day 10
Ammonia 2.5ppm but still difficult to tell, not so confident that it's dropping anymore. Considering a 25% water change. The Fx6 arrived yesterday, installed successfully today. Nitrite 0
My water level was a bit low anyways after using some for rinsing. So including the volume of the new filter I've added 28 litres now so will see how ammonia is on day 13.

Very happy with it, firstly it's looks a bit like R2D2, quite easy to set-up if followed methodically, primes itself & purges air, running smoothly. 

Checked ammonia yesterday, after adding the 28 litres and it's clearly now very close to 2.0ppm.

Photos of R2DR: 
R2DR_01.jpg
R2D2_02.jpg

Been out rock hunting with a mate, got lucky as all in one spot, was his suggestion so I owe him a few beers. Have you seen the price of rocks at the shops? Crazy!

Will rinse them, so they not dirty to handle, and see how suitable they are. I'm sure there are some crackers in amongst them tho'.

Attachments

• rock haul.jpg
    rock haul.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 122
Looking great :)

Ammonia levels looking fine, though nitrites are not yet appearing, hopefully that will start to occur anytime now.

That Fluval FX6 filter is huge, massive really as did not realise just how big they are, I have seen them in LFS but always in boxes and not set up etc, so don't have real idea just how big. And looks very sturdy as well to boot.

And yes, rocks ARE expensive from practically any LFS, though thats on a par for everything relating to fishkeeping really, this fishkeeping malarky, at least in UK is not a cheap hobby.

Though have to admit its worth it when you see the end results and having a great looking tank with nice plants and fish, shrimps and snail going around doing their own thing :)

Keep up the good work :good:

Day 15. From the rock find, there are two kinds, sandstone and an igneous rock. I understand the sandstone can change the water parameters so want to insert the igneous rock first, leave it for a week, check parameters. If all ok then try the sandstone as it's good for Mbuna.

Readings taken KH 6, GH 8, pH 8.

I also check the other readings, and it's the first show of Nitrate! Yippeee!
Which is great as confirms for sure that things are underway.

Ammonia 1.5ppm, Nitrite 0.25-0.5ppm

The rock has been rinsed in boiling water, left to soak and given a good scrub. Some of the pieces tho' have tarmac or possible other construction type waste on them. So decided against putting them in.  

Great stuff.

Hopefully someone will chime in about th sandstone potential issues with changing ph etc as

But the cycling is now underway :good:

Day 17.

As thought yesterday when natural light was poor, Ammonia 0.5, Nitrite 10, also checked Nitrate for the first time 10ppm.
We're in business - added 12ml of ammonia, tested after 45mins 4ppm. 12 hours later 2ppm.

Will test pH and hardness tomorrow, as I added some sandstone yesterday.

Sometimes its worth testing the tap water for ammonia and nitrate, there should not be any ammonia but it does happen.
Also very comon to have nitrate in tap water, i have around 30 - 40ppm nitrate striaght from my tap and hence cannot lower nitrate when do water changes, in fact i increase the nitrates simply due to w/c as usually by end of week rarely have more than 5 - 10ppm in the tank.

This is where plants can come in handy, they can consume nitrates ;)

Keep up the good work with the cycle, and keep checking the fishless cycle article :)

Day 18 - KH 5, GH 8, pH 7.8 it looks like the sandstone added has lowered both the pH and carbonate hardness KH, slighty. Will continue to monitor it, but looks like I need to rethink the rocks.

Checked Tap Water :Ammonia 0. Nitrate 5ppm or less.

Day 19. Ammonia 0, Nitrite >5, Nitrate 10+.

If ammonia shows zero again on day 21, I think I need to add another small dose of ammonia? Will double check.

Most reactions

Back