Rescaping Aquarium... Need Help!

BenVernon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My Fluval Edge 6 gallon is looking horrible. Algae has literally taken over the whole tank and the gravel in contrast with the few plants I have in there looks ugly. It has been like this for over a year now and it has come to the point where I am sick of looking at it. It needs a rescape... urgently. 

This is the first time I'm having to rescape a tank. I currently have a male betta in their on his own, the problem is, where do I put him? He can't stay in the tank as I need to completely change the gravel and give the tank a clean. Where should I put him for a few hours while I rescape the tank? 

Secondly, what am I supposed to do with the filter which is built into the tank? I don't want to loose all of the bacteria whilst I am rescaping meaning that I will have to recycle the tank. 

Any other things that I will need to know before I rescape?

Thanks.

So long as the rescape does not take long (Maybe a few hours) I'd put the betta in a bowl of your tank water for a few hours as you move and clean stuff.

The filter should remain underwater or again put the sponges/media in a bowl of warm tank water for a few hours.

I wouldn't clean the substrate or anything like that as they all contain very good bacteria that may cause you issues if you remove it.

techen said:
So long as the rescape does not take long (Maybe a few hours) I'd put the betta in a bowl of your tank water for a few hours as you move and clean stuff.

The filter should remain underwater or again put the sponges/media in a bowl of warm tank water for a few hours.

I wouldn't clean the substrate or anything like that as they all contain very good bacteria that may cause you issues if you remove it.

Ok thanks. Only problem is that the gravel NEEDS replacing as it has lost a lot of it's colour and generally looks ugly. Will this be a problem?

Replacing the gravel should not be a problem, keep the fish in a bowl of tank water by it self, and the filter media in a bowl by it self, Then rescape to your hearts contempt.

The gravel is a 50/50 thing, I mean honestly it holds more cycled bacteria than people believe, Just beware when you replace it to check your water.

Ok thanks a lot! I'll be careful with the gravel and test the water after doing the rescape.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back