Rescape

CaptainBarnicles

Moderate Pleco Tolerator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I'm getting itchy for another tank 😬 but I know I won't be able to manage 2 big tanks at the moment....so I'm thinking about rescaping.
20230918_212227.jpg

It's heavily planted and looking really untidy so its going to be a nightmare. I feel overwhelmed at the thought of ripping it all out and starting again and I really don't know where to start!

The biggest spare tank I have is a 60l...which I don't think is going to be sufficient for the amount of fish I've got in here. The filter comes in through the bottom of the tank so that's another drama to worry about.

I'm probably just going to add to the sand rather than remove and replace, no sense in getting rid of all that BB. I'll reuse the plants too....

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated please 🙏

This is clearly in the wrong section 🤦‍♀️ obviously not a nano tank 🙄

I'll move it to planted Chit Chat.

I'm hopeless at aquascaping, but if it was my tank I'd somehow try to get those balansae crypts to grow taller. Failing that, floating plants rather than do anything to the existing plants - but that's just me being scared of uprooting all those plants :S

I think you need some hardscape in there :) A big V shaped piece of wood (or combination of smaller pieces) would look great and it would only really mean clearing/moving the central clump of crypts I think the rest of the plants would regrow and adapt around it and you're not risking too much crypt melt. You could grow all kinds of epiphytes on the wood too, I'm in love with Trident Fern, Coin Anubias and Taiwan Moss at the moment :)

It's a shame you're not closer to me as I've got a big ol' bucket of Seriyu Stone I might be moving on that would work to layer in the gravel to the wood as well.

So here we are! It's not quite finished, I don't like that hole on the right under the wood...

I've not soaked the wood so I'm expecting to be doing regular water changes to stay on top of the tannins, I'd like some more of the taller plants in the back and some more rock I think, but over all rather pleased with how it's turned out...fish certainly love it, the boys were chasing the girls as soon as the lid was back on!
20231020_191757.jpg
20231020_191920.jpg

I wondered if the wood was too tall but I actually really like it just poking above the surface...shops tomorrow for some epiphytes

Looking good. What fish are in there? Just the bosmani rainbowfish and cherry barbs? Looks like it is a very active tank.
I have a pair of Kribensis in there as well and yes, very active for the most part. That's what I love about Rainbows, they zoom around a lot of the time

It's amazing what a difference it can make. I had in mind the type of wood I wanted and what I wanted it to do, so I've just been lurking in my regular LFS's for a while waiting the perfect pieces to appear.

The plants at the shop were in a dire state this morning so I've skipped on those for now

I like the new scape, well done

I'm fond of the arched open area under the DW, I try to do that in all of my tanks, fun to watch the fish swim through...

Most reactions

trending

Back