Replace Juwel 301 K Powerhead

njw

Reaction score
Hi Chaps, Looooong time since I've been on here - long time since my tank's had any water in it!

Anyway, I'm getting back into fish keeping and preparing a Rio 180. The old/original powerhead is a juwel 301 K, rated at 600l/h. I need to replace the rubber mount as its dried out and shrunk. However, these dont seem to be available anymore, and a new series of powerheads are available. I believe the direct replacement would be the 600L version of these:

http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/aquarium-p...eads-27964.html

However, is there any wisdom in fitting a higher rated pump (maybe the 1000L)? Would there be any benefit to this? Or will this have an negative effect on the compact h filter which I assume in the rio 180 is designed for a 600 l/h pump?

thanks

Hello njw hope your well :good: increasing the volume depends on if you need it or not Juwel obviously rate the pump to the BASIC requirements of the Tank I cannot see any harm going over size on Juwels recommendations Just as long as the new pump physically fits.

A Rio 180 has approximately 180 LITRES volume so with the 600 you would have over 3 times cycle an hour a 1000 pump would give you over 5 times your tank volume an hour which is better but remember your filter medium has not increased.

I needed to increase my filtration to consider my long term plans of keeping Discus so as well as using the internal 6oo pump and filter box I have just added an external fluval 405 :lol: :good: Loads of filtration loads of power :lol:

i did a thread about this a while back, and increasing flow, reduces water contact time with filter bacteria. so you would be getting lees effective filtration, buy the same rating pump, but, where you would normally have the blue sponges, i highly recommend that you get a netted bag and fill it with ceramic noodles and put them in, they have a larger surface area, so you can grow more bacteria on them and they dont need changing that often.

I put the 1500 in my Rio 300 to get some good flow in the tank (and because it came without a powerhead). I also have a 1000lph Canister filter in ther too though. I'm fairly sure the 1000/1500 would not fit in a 180.

Most reactions

Back