Remembering Bob Barker

My grandmother used to watch his show, and I'd sit with her watching people be greedy. Not once did I ever see any aquarium products up for the "price check". No one won filters or heaters, just cars and stuff like that.

I got into a little ethical debate with my Dad once . Dad watched The Price is Right every day and Bob Barker had two women on that were with him for years that showed the stuff . Well , he fired them and hired a couple super pretty young models to replace them and I thought that was a crock because those old gals had a lot of fans - home viewers loved them - but my Old Man said the boss can do whatever he wants and the boss is always right . I said that the boss wasnā€™t right this time . This youth culture and emphasis on superficial beauty is a crock . Why didnā€˜t dear old Bob Barker replace himself with some young buck ? He just wanted to ogle the young chickies . The randy old sod .

He got as close as he could to 100 without going over.
RIP Bob Barker.

Hello. He did some good things, like promoting the welfare of others and was a supporter of animal welfare. However, behind the scenes, he was also involved in what some called a hostile work environment, discrimination and sexual harassment. So, he wasn't without some controversy.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

My grandmother used to watch his show, and I'd sit with her watching people be greedy. Not once did I ever see any aquarium products up for the "price check". No one won filters or heaters, just cars and stuff like that.
Greed is right . Thatā€™s all these game shows promote is the illusion that , you too , can be one of the beautiful people with wealth and an abundance of possessions. Phooey !

It's a very international forum here, and it's kind of interesting to see how celebrity works. We always assume that big stars like Gordon Pinsent, Pierre Burton (I know, that's my point), or Bob Barker are known all over the world, but game show hosts and TV personalities are regional. Creepy old Bob was huge in North America before many posters here were born, and his passing isn't news for non US or Canadian members under 50.

One thing I love about forums is they push us out of our little worlds on things like this.

I canā€™t figure out why he is remembered for being such an animal welfare promoter when all he did was say neuter your pets at the end of each show . Drew Carey does that too so will he be remembered as a champion of animals ? It isnā€™t polite to speak ill of the dead but in this age of ā€œMe Tooā€ why isnā€™t Bob Barker raked over the coals as a lecherous old womanizer ? Oh well , it doesnā€™t really matter anymore now . The thing about anybody famous that gets me is why didnā€™t the Queen ever get Boris Johnson a comb ?

Greed is right . Thatā€™s all these game shows promote is the illusion that , you too , can be one of the beautiful people with wealth and an abundance of possessions. Phooey !
Wait, you mean money and new cars aren't the source of all happiness? Phooey indeed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast

Members online

Back