Releasing unwanted goldfish in pond

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vmong

Reaction score
i want to realease my Goldfish but i dont want to hard it, would it be ok to realtease it in a public pond? i think that it has outgrown my tank and i only want tropical fish. i only got the goldfish because it was my first ones and i didnt want to kill them! so would it be safe to put them in the pond? is it legal? :dunno:

Why not rehome them to someone with a pond. It's the best thing and better for them, so you're making the right decision. I rehomed mone a few months ago, advertised them and they were gone that week.

I wouldn't release them without permission. You many get permission from the concil or whatever to put them in a public pond, but you should ask.

Please don't release it, find it a new home. Alot of coldwater species are now banned in England because people released them and they out competed native fish and thrived, we don't want the next on the list to be the Goldfish, take it to your lfs or rehome it somewhere else. :) If it is a seperate public pond you may be ok but I would ask for permission, because they often do stock check on those and the goldfish are removed. :)

in my Uncles fishing club, people release goldfish, and people catch them and just throw them into the woods. You wouldnt want that to happen to your fish, would you?

the thing is that its a lot of bother if i go asking the council for persmission etc because its just goldifh to them i eman they dont care if they die of live and none of my friends are fishkeepers and its highly not likely that the LFS will take it back because they are just goldfish and they have a few scales missing as my pleco is violent when he eats

vmong said:
the thing is that its a lot of bother if i go asking the council for persmission etc because its just goldifh to them i eman they dont care if they die of live and none of my friends are fishkeepers and its highly not likely that the LFS will take it back because they are just goldfish and they have a few scales missing as my pleco is violent when he eats
They will not be Just goldfish to the enviroment agency (u.k), or department of fish and game (u.s) where do you live? You can resolve this problem, even if it cost you a little time and effort!

lfs sell goldfish. of course theyde take them. If theyre big ones, do you know how much they sell them for?

in my Uncles fishing club, people release goldfish, and people catch them and just throw them into the woods. You wouldnt want that to happen to your fish, would you?

It's better than having the goldfish take over native species.

DiVer the thing is that its either that they get thrown into the woods or that they get put in proper homes.

stick your location in your details there may be someone on the forum who will take it off your hands ,gees some people,fish are like puppies not just for xmas :angry:

Why not put an add up like Cheese did for hers, she found a new home for her Goldfish in no time at all by doing so. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back