The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi all I have a thread about the general tank in the general freshwater section but wanted to come to the experts :)
Ive just got a 30g Fluval Roma 125 I should be getting the tank on weds-friday but the filter is starting its cycle in my 10g
for now. The stocking plan is :

3 Apisto Cacatuoides (1m 2f)
2 Redbreast Acara (1m 1f)
15 Platinum Tetras
2 Plecs (1 L344 and 1 L??? )

I was just wondering if you think the 30g can handle 2 sets of dwarf cichlids I think that they should be okay in there
though the fish I am most worried about would be the acaras from what I have read they are pretty peaceful and even
quite tame even when spawning. In the past I have mixed keyholes and rams but that was in a 40g but they totally ignored
each other and there were some spawning angels in there as well (my first tank which worked out well) though I totally
know and understand that sometimes cichlids are unpredictable what do you guys think to this mix?

Thanks Wills

bump sorry to be rude but anyone got any thoughts on this stocking? After reading a bit more and planning out creation of territories for each of the cichlids I think that this will work really well in a fairly natural way. But what are others thoughts?

Hmmm I dont tink you have enough space for that many Dwarfs mate.

thankyou for the reply and the honesty :p It kind of goes against other peoples advice before I asked about the acara people were recommending me to get a bandit cichlid which is twice the size of the acara, I've also seen people have success with mixing rams and apistos in a 20g? So I have to admit I was thinking I would be okay with these. Would it make any difference if it was just a pair of apistos rather than the trio?

thankyou for the reply and the honesty :p It kind of goes against other peoples advice before I asked about the acara people were recommending me to get a bandit cichlid which is twice the size of the acara, I've also seen people have success with mixing rams and apistos in a 20g? So I have to admit I was thinking I would be okay with these. Would it make any difference if it was just a pair of apistos rather than the trio?
Yeah, I reckon you should buy a breeding pair of apistos rather than 3 apistos. Also, Platinum tetras might annoy the plecs?

Yeah, I reckon you should buy a breeding pair of apistos rather than 3 apistos. Also, Platinum tetras might annoy the plecs?

how would the tetras annoy the plecs? do they not normally mix well or is it just the platinums?
and when you said get the pair rather than the trio did you mean the pair of apistos and the acaras or just the pair of apistos?

*edit* just to help peoples decisions about the redbreasted acaras - from many sources I have found that their territory foot print is very small between 6-8 inches square the foot print of the tank is 36 x 15 inch and this territory is only established when breeding the rest of the time they remain placid and passive - while I am aware the cacatuoides are generally more aggressive I think the foot print will be sufficient to accommodate the 2 of them particularly as there are no other bottom dwellers (also the acaras tend to dwell middle to bottom where as i have read the cacatuoides stay mainly bottom) I didnt just pull this stocking list out of thin air and I know I can scape the tank to break up line of sight between them all for it to work - in a similar way you would to puffers please. If you really think this wont work can you please give me justification for why my response was wrong.

I was considering a single
cichlid of some kind
After that post is when I suggested bandit cichlid. Not after posts where you were talking about a second pair of cichlids.

bandit cichlid community
There's a guianacara with corys and an apisto in that vid.

apisto panduro and bandit cichlid
Apisto panduro chases off a bandit cichlid 2.5x its size.

If you altered your stocking levels you could easily accommodate some apistos and a bandit cichlid (maybe even multiple now that we know your tank is 3ft).

yeah im open to alternatives :) but would the larger cichlids be any better than the acara? I dont understand the difference sorry ^^'' surley the larger bandit would cause more harm than the redbreasts? Also are the bandits not a type of acara as well?

thanks for the help guys :) really appreciate it

*edit or have i got it the wrong way round and the apistos will over power the redbreast acara?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back