red torpedo barbs

rixy

Fish Herder
Reaction score
does anyone else keep them.if so,would like any info,tips etc.i have 7 of them

I don't have any, but now that I get 25% staff discount, I will soon.
your best bet for info is using the scientific name in a search engine
and reading all links it gives you. barbus denisonii

post pics of your school I'd love to see them, as I'm sure many members would too.

hi,i have a 7 megapixel camera but taking pics of the fishtank is harder than any other pics i've ever taken.any tips?????

Apperently they really really islike temperature fluctuations. Especially when you brink em home, they dont like to switch water temps.

I have 2 Red Lined Torpedo Barbs. Very busy fish, very greedy, very pretty but unfortunatley the slightly bigger fish (3 inch max) chases the the other one about for long periods which concerns me. But anyway 80% of the time they are fine. They've only been in the tank 4 weeks...

>>> have 2 Red Lined Torpedo Barbs

I suspect the chasing about is because you have a very small group, 2 fish is not really a group at all. They are a gregarious species and do best in larger groups, at least 4, ideally more fish.

yeah i find that they do better in a group plus all of them a similar size so that they dont fight.the 7 in my tank look stunning.

Maybe a stupid question, but by having a larger group of these fish, why will it stop them chasing? Won't more fish just chase each other?

Sorry I'm fairly new to this game...

There are many species of fish that are naturally schooling/shoaling species. In the wild they live in large groups, perhaps hundreds of individuals. Their behaviour is "designed" for such an environment.

Being part of a large group involves substantial "sociological" behaviour. Certain fish are more dominant, others less so. Permenant activity exists to reinforce pecking order tables.

In large groups, the aggression shown in pecking order disputes is mitigated by the number of fish in the group. A very dominant individual "bullies" slightly, several dozen other fish. The "other fish" are not overly bothered, they learn and live to fight another day.

In very small groups, the attention of dominant fish is focused on a much smaller group of individuals. Frequently, atypical behaviour ensues, and a dominant fish will harrass to death a subordinate. It has no other outlet for it's aggressive tendencies.

For this reason, many naturally shoaling/schooling fish should be kept in groups in the tank. The aggression of the pecking order is disipated amongst the members. Too small a group, individuals get picked on and killed, then there were less, so the next least dominant gets picked on, then there were less.... osv.

Having a large group will not stop chasing, but reduces the impact of chasing on individual fish.

hi ancient mariner,i would get some more red torpedo's or get rid of the 2 that you have got.try to keep neons,tetras,red torpedo's etc in groups of 4 or 5 or more. :nod:

Hi Rixy, I think I will get 2 or possibly 3 more then. I really don't want to get rid of them, they are a superb looking fish & don't at all hassle any others in my tank.

Any other personal experiences you have with this particular fish, please let me know.

Cheers.

Most reactions

Back