Red Terror Killed My Dempsey

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This goes to show that every fish of the same species is different. My red terror is at the bottom of the pecking order , my convict rules the tank , then my jd whitch is smaller , then the red terror. You may have got one thats extra aggresive , you can take him back and get another one thats not so dominent. What i do find interesting is its usually the new fish that gets beat up not the new one doing the butt whooping. Also was the red terror bigger than the other fish when introduced.

Is your festae under 6"? Just curious.

Personally Ive had a lot of luck housing large agressive cichlids togeather. ive got 1 of each of these:
red devil
jack dempsey
jewel cichlid
yellow lab cichlid
green severum
cobalt blue cichlid
RTBS
black shark
CAE
oscar

Just for the record the Devil and the Black shark wow, never seen anything grow as fast as these guys!!! Anyway the oscar is the only fish that gets beat on in here, the others all get along, one big happy family:)

hi garbage.what size are all of your fish plus what size tank are they in????

Personally Ive had a lot of luck housing large agressive cichlids togeather. ive got 1 of each of these:
red devil
jack dempsey
jewel cichlid
yellow lab cichlid
green severum
cobalt blue cichlid
RTBS
black shark
CAE
oscar

Just for the record the Devil and the Black shark wow, never seen anything grow as fast as these guys!!! Anyway the oscar is the only fish that gets beat on in here, the others all get along, one big happy family:)

That makes sense that oscar gets picked on. Despite what most people think with o's getting big, they also think that they will be incharge of the tank because of their size, but usually it is the smaller more aggressive fish that push everyone around. The o's luckily though are big brutes and can take most of the punishment.

hi garbage.what size are all of your fish plus what size tank are they in????

red devil (8 inches)
jack dempsey (5 inches)
jewel cichlid (3 inches)
yellow lab cichlid (5 inches)
green severum (7 inches)
cobalt blue cichlid (4 inches)
RTBS (5 inches)
black shark (6 inches)
CAE (3 inches)
oscar (6 inches)

Tank size is 125 Gallon, most likely Im going to rehome the oscar as soon as I can find him a home, he has just never fit in with this crowd here, there were a few weeks where I thought he was doing better than I came home from work a couple days ago and someone (probably the devil) had beaten the **** out of im again. He is currently in an isolation tank. I knew when I got the oscar that he would never be king of the tank, I figured that honor would rest with the devil or BS, I did however think that the oscar would have been able to defend himself better than he has...

hey gator he's about 5 inches at the moment. the convict is about 4 inches and my jack is about 2 inches , the jack eats like a pig but just won't grow lol.

hey gator he's about 5 inches at the moment. the convict is about 4 inches and my jack is about 2 inches , the jack eats like a pig but just won't grow lol.

Thanks for the info. :)

I figured if the red terror was at the bottom of the pecking order he was under 6". They almost always are when small. They're sissies until they get a little bigger, then you'll want to keep an eye on them because they will start picking off other fish on their climb up the pecking order.

I figured if the red terror was at the bottom of the pecking order he was under 6". They almost always are when small. They're sissies until they get a little bigger, then you'll want to keep an eye on them because they will start picking off other fish on their climb up the pecking order.

Mines around 7" give or take and she is mean as all hell! She got along great, then one day she went schizo on the tank and beat up on everyone! :crazy:

The rule that I've been told is any RT under 6" is a "pansy fish" after that, the "macho" attitude comes in. Hopefully your RT decides to stay at the bottom and not move up :good:!

Mines around 7" give or take and she is mean as all hell! She got along great, then one day she went schizo on the tank and beat up on everyone! :crazy:

The rule that I've been told is any RT under 6" is a "pansy fish" after that, the "macho" attitude comes in. Hopefully your RT decides to stay at the bottom and not move up :good:!

What you've been told is exactly what my experience has always been with them. I don't know why they are such pansies under 6" considering how mean and aggressive they are after that. I've never really even had a red terror that was under 6" that was tough to be able to say "generally" or "usually". It's been like that for me 100% of the time and then they get to 6" and larger and they'll mess almost any other fish up.

After being picked on by everything in the tank, I'd just come home one day and all the fish would be in the upper corners and the red terror would be swimming around like he owned the place.

woke up this morning to find my female red terror(only got her on sunday) has killed my male jack dempsey.why are cichlids such bast**ds????you try and get a stunning and different collection of fish together and something always backfires on you.the red terror is now trying to get my senegal and delhezi.i'm on the verge of giving up fishkeeping.everytime i try something,it goes wrong.
you don't have to give up fishkeeping try again and again.

I'm John c. I have a male red terror cichlid I will be breeding him with a female but everyone will soon find out it's not the parents you have to worry about it will be the babies cause these babies won't start a fight but don't underestimate them they will be worst then their parents plus they'll grow up to a large 32 inches.

well as for the baby cichlids I will have if any red devil cichlid,Midas cichlid flowerhorn cichlid, Oscar cichlid or jack Dempsey cichlid starts any pecking order with it they will get beaten or killed by my cichlid this cichlid I call the (RED PHOENIX KING CICHLID). plus it grows up to a large 32 inches .

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back