Red Tailed Shark Sick

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fishy4246

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have a red tailed shark and last Sunday he had contracted ick. I took the steps and got him "ick meds". Changed the water and now something horrible is happening. My nitrate and ammonia levels are through the roof, RTS is acting crazy. Jumping out of the water, swimming vertically, has faint white blotches on his back. Not spots but like blotches. His underside is also red from something. Please help me. I have a 20 gallon tank with a RTS. And a gourami. Doing a water change as I type now.

OK, when you say through the roof what do you mean? That would either imply that the biofilter is failing for some reason (the first culprit that always springs to mind is not enough dechlorinator in water changes knocking back the bacteria). Other option is something rotting off in the tank. I had a bad run when a slug fell into my tank, they rot quickly and release a hell of a lot of ammonia. Unlikely but an example, it's worth checking the tank for anything dead or dying, like leaves and other bits and pieces.

If it's been building up for a while then it may explain the illness in the RTS. I suspect the red is from ammonia poisoning and a large water change to get those levels back to near 0 is in order.

The ammonia spikes may be from the meds you used? What did you treat him with?

Second that he has ammonia poisoning and gave him red spots or burns, is the gourami gasping for air? Also later you will have to upgrade to a 55 gallon for the RTS.

Ammonia was at 4.0 this evening. That's a spike from when I changed the tank on Sunday the ammonia was at 0. I changed 50% of the water twice so far tonight to get all I can out. I see no slugs and I don't have live plants. Should I do another ick treatment soon or is the white blotches just leftover/dead scales?
The gourami is just doing his thing. Doesn't look stressed at all. I used API super ick cure 3.6 mg malachite green and 60 mg nitrofurazone both x 2. I'm moving hopefully and waiting till I get my new place before I get a 55 gl. I want my RTS to get big and be free.

A quick cure for ICK is raise the temp to 86.  Definitely need to get that cycle under control.  Toss in a capful or two of Prime for a quick fix, then do some water changes,  make sure the new water has conditioner.  Prime is great for emergencies, one time, I forgot to add the conditioner and notice the fish acting strange, I immediately dropped two capfuls of prime and fish were ripe as rain.

You will probably need to do another big water change, as in all but the last couple inches that keep the fish covered, your two 50% water changes would have dropped that 4ppm ammonia to ~1ppm at best if ammonia was under control. However, I suspect ammonia has continued to rise.

The exception to the above water change advice would be if you had the fish in warm but neutral water (ph 7ish or below). In alkaline water of ~8, 1ppm ammonia would be rather toxic at tropical temperatures.

Well the RTS has passed away. Looked like he had an infection on his belly. I have no clue though.

Most reactions

trending

Back