Red-Tailed Shark In Community Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kuzyaburst

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I contacted a guy who has lots of experience with many different fish, and I asked him if it is ok to keep a Red-Tailed Shark with my list.... he said it's risky but you can try it. Also said something about its individual personality. I don't know if I want to take the risk though... Is the fish really as aggressive as it sounds? I have a 36g tank with a lot of ornaments and many plants and vegetation. 

By the way my list is: 14 Neon tetras; 3 Cory Cats; 5 guppies; 5 Khuli loaches; 4 Red wag platies; 1 Dwarf Gourami; 1 Bristlenose cat... If I can't get the Red-Tailed Shark I'll probably buy a couple Cherry shrimp.

I'm saying no-go, honestly. Risky is an understatement. Red tail sharks have their own personalities, but such small fish will have a hard time defending themselves if you get a mean one. Red tail sharks are highly territorial with other bottom dwellers and there is a 95% chance that he'd chase them all to death, and even if you managed to omit every single cory catfish, loach, and the pleco, there is a chance he'd get nasty with the tetras and platies. My RTBS in my 50 gallon is usually pretty docile, but he does have his bad days, and while my fish can fend for themselves when he gets feisty, small and timid fish like neon tetras, cories and khulis could die from the stress alone. 

That aside, red tail sharks really should be kept in a larger tank than that for territorial issues as well as activity issues, they like to patrol a lot, and deserve a tank with a 48"x12" footprint. The smaller tank size you have could only amplify the aggression as he may claim the entire tank as his territory. 

All the signs lead to bad idea, I know they're attractive fish, but they're the exact opposite of what you want in a tank with that stocking list. 

lydah said:
I'm saying no-go, honestly. Risky is an understatement. Red tail sharks have their own personalities, but such small fish will have a hard time defending themselves if you get a mean one. Red tail sharks are highly territorial with other bottom dwellers and there is a 95% chance that he'd chase them all to death, and even if you managed to omit every single cory catfish, loach, and the pleco, there is a chance he'd get nasty with the tetras and platies. My RTBS in my 50 gallon is usually pretty docile, but he does have his bad days, and while my fish can fend for themselves when he gets feisty, small and timid fish like neon tetras, cories and khulis could die from the stress alone. 

That aside, red tail sharks really should be kept in a larger tank than that for territorial issues as well as activity issues, they like to patrol a lot, and deserve a tank with a 48"x12" footprint. The smaller tank size you have could only amplify the aggression as he may claim the entire tank as his territory. 

All the signs lead to bad idea, I know they're attractive fish, but they're the exact opposite of what you want in a tank with that stocking list. 
Ok thanks, also what kind of fish do you keep with him? 

Ive had a RTBS with all types of community fish (Back in the day where I brought every fish I liked out of impulse) Even in an overstocked, too-small tank, he still worked out alright, only the RTBS and the one tiger barb ever showed aggression toward eachother. However your tank sounds much too small for a red tail. A minimum footprint would be around 120x45cm. My tank is 122x38cm and I still wouldn't put one in there. 
But it would be worth it to buy a bigger tank, because these guys are full of personality! 

Ive had a RTBS with all types of community fish (Back in the day where I brought every fish I liked out of impulse) Even in an overstocked, too-small tank, he still worked out alright, only the RTBS and the one tiger barb ever showed aggression toward eachother. However your tank sounds much too small for a red tail. A minimum footprint would be around 120x45cm. My tank is 122x38cm and I still wouldn't put one in there. 
But it would be worth it to buy a bigger tank, because these guys are full of personality! 

AshleyNZ said:

high stress can hinder a fish's behavior to act normally, including being kept in a too-small overstocked tank

kuzyaburst said:

firemouth cichlid, convict cichlid, bristlenose pleco, and 12 red eye tetras, in a 48"x12"x18" aquarium 

used to have a group of synodontis nigriventris catfish in there but had to move them to another tank after the RTBS chased them so much they wouldn't come out of the hides anymore. Keep in mind synodontis are much more bolshy than cories of loaches, and they were still bothered enough by the shark to actively avoid it in hides, not even my convict bothered the catfish as much as the shark did.

the shark has learned that he gets beat on for trying to pick on the pleco or cichlids, which are overall stronger and larger fish than he is. he'll still chase the tetras around every now and then, but they're much larger and hardier than neons and quickly shake it off 

lydah said:

firemouth cichlid, convict cichlid, bristlenose pleco, and 12 red eye tetras, in a 48"x12"x18" aquarium 

used to have a group of synodontis nigriventris catfish in there but had to move them to another tank after the RTBS chased them so much they wouldn't come out of the hides anymore. Keep in mind synodontis are much more bolshy than cories of loaches, and they were still bothered enough by the shark to actively avoid it in hides, not even my convict bothered the catfish as much as the shark did.

the shark has learned that he gets beat on for trying to pick on the pleco or cichlids, which are overall stronger and larger fish than he is. he'll still chase the tetras around every now and then, but they're much larger and hardier than neons and quickly shake it off 

alright thanks, yeah I doubt i'll  be adding a RTBS to my tank. hehe

lydah said:

high stress can hinder a fish's behavior to act normally, including being kept in a too-small overstocked tank

He would show when he was stressed :p

I have a RTBS in a 34gal with tiger barbs, endlers, & danios, he isn't stressed in the least, has stunning vibrant colours, a stressed RTBS will grey out.

This is very true.  Any time an individual fish exhibits marked behavioural differences from what is the expected normal for the species, the answer is usually stress.  There may be no other signs, depending upon the specifics.  Stress affects fish several ways, and we now know there is serious stress inflicted on fish by the physical space (when this is not sufficient), inappropriate numbers (if the species is a shoaling one), and/or an inappropriate environment (the aquascape, water parameters, and other fish species present).

Often such stress causes an increase in aggression, but at times the opposite occurs.  With the latter, frequently the fish if the conditions are corrected will revert to a more normal behaviour, though the period of the stress can cause permanent internal problems that do not reverse or correct.

Byron.

AshleyNZ said:
He would show when he was stressed :p  
Alasse said:
I have a RTBS in a 34gal with tiger barbs, endlers, & danios, he isn't stressed in the least, has stunning vibrant colours, a stressed RTBS will grey out.
I recall my uncle back 10 years or so had a full grown red tail shark in a 15 gallon tank. It would hide inside of its plastic log all day, it got along "fine" with the other fish (I recall an angelfish and red eye tetras in the tank) and had a nice dark body and bright red tail. It never lashed out at anything or caused any troubles and it's colors were great, but it never came out of the log. I'm sure you can put two and two together and draw a conclusion as to why.

Stress isn't always easy to see and it isn't always shown through extreme symptoms like discoloration or hiding behind filter intakes, just like a cat or dog can be stressed but still not be hissing or growling or biting people. Stress is a spectrum, but the long term effects of it in any degree can be devastating and lead to improper growth and shortened lifespans, not to mention increased risk of disease and irregular behavior.

A 15 gal is ridiculous...and anyone who puts one in that sized tank is misinformed or an idiot

A 30gal+ is a far difference. Stress in RTBS is very easy to see, they grey out, that is a fact. Unless you were watching the tank 24/7, saying the RTBS never ever came out is not exactly correct is it. The RTBS i have in the 34gal behaves no different to the one i had in the 90gal. He likes his hiding spots, comes out to feed, or as soon as the lights are off he is on patrol.

The fact that a RTBS stays in its cave/or nominated decoration, is not a sure sign of stress. RTBS are known for being individuals, some play nice with others, some dont, some are not in the least shy, others are.....

So i am more than comfortable with keeping a RTBS in a 30+gal tank with suitable tankmates

Most reactions

Back