RED TAILED CATFISH

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Hiya
I went to Tropical Oasis in Nantwich which has all the usual stuff....sharks, stingrays, huge tank of foot long pacu....piranha....giant gourami which were seriously giant....there I happened to see a Red tailed Shark. You have two right? The one I saw was 4ft long and a foot across. Now I maybe new but surely even 2 6ft tanks put together isn't big enough for just one of these fish if they are kept properly? Just my thoughts having seen how big he was, even if he was stunning.
Anyway, just my two pence for what it's worth.
Hope I've not offended anybody.
Helen

big fish like (RTC and Giraffes etc as long as they not too big) would be better in something around 8x3x3 or even custom built at 9x5x6( saw a marine tank this big for slae a while back. imagine carrying that home and explaining that to the other half lol

@ Wharf they have a custom built 'tank' (more like a modified room/pond/tank hybrid lol :D ) that must be 7ft high by 9ft deep by 8ft wide or so (may even be bigger than that) that is home to 1x 4ft Red Tail Catfish, 1x 2.5ft Nile Perch, 2x 3ft Alligator Gars and 3x 3ft Darads (Megladoras Irwinii I think). The thing is it is a big community tank.... Gar for the surface, Red Tail and Nile Perch for mid water and Dorads for bottom. But the sheer volume of the tank means there is plenty of room for all fish to go about their business. They are all in top condition and the Red Tail is THE finest I've seen in captivity (and I've seen a few). Also at Wharf they have smaller Red Tails that other LFS's have sold people and then won't take them back because they have given people the wrong idea about how to keep them. As Cryosi stated, 8ftx3ftx3ft would be the ABSOLUTE minimum to keep one, but much BIGGER would be much BETTER, especially if you are keeping, say, a Tiger Shovelnose as well. Macpegg - think not just length for your tank but volume. 12ft long would be great, but make it taller and wider as well if you can, say 4-5ft or so, the fish will get a good turning circle then and have more freedom when full grown. Think about filtration for the future as well, it will have to be very, very good and possibly custom built. Do 20% water changes TWICE a week as well for good growth. Try to resist beefheart of other red meat foods because of mess. The one at Wharf is fed white fish (balls of whitebait etc) or feeder fish, but beware disease transmission with feeders. It will only need feeding twice a week when full grown. Heaters etc. place behind a protective sheet of glass/perspex because the Red Tail will try to eat it. Really, it will! ANYTHING that will fit in its mouth will be tasted or even swallowed, so beware.
If you do manage a 'super tank' then why not treat it as a giant community, but only if you can commit to it. Speak to anyone you can at any well renowned lfs in the country for info though if you can. Most of the good ones are in PFK, so just give them a call and chat.
BTW - if you felt as though I was trying to put you off before then that wasn't my intentions, I just want the best for you and your fish m8, so that you can carry on enjoying them for as long as possible. Thats why we're all here, we all love our hobby!! Simple as that. Good Luck with the venture

Gibbo :thumbs:

Minxnfella said:
Hiya
I went to Tropical Oasis in Nantwich which has all the usual stuff....sharks, stingrays, huge tank of foot long pacu....piranha....giant gourami which were seriously giant....there I happened to see a Red tailed Shark. You have two right? The one I saw was 4ft long and a foot across. Now I maybe new but surely even 2 6ft tanks put together isn't big enough for just one of these fish if they are kept properly? Just my thoughts having seen how big he was, even if he was stunning.
Anyway, just my two pence for what it's worth.
Hope I've not offended anybody.
Helen
Errr, you do mean a red-tailed catfish, don't you? Surely you don't mean a red-tailed black shark :blink:

.:Ming:. said:
4ft red tailed shark?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??????????????????? :unsure: :blink: :no: :crazy: :oh: :devil:
you sure man?
I'm sure he meant a 4ft Red-Tailed Cat. Id be astonished to see even a 1ft Red-tailed Black.

Most reactions

Back