Red Slime In Certain Areas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

smokinjoe2122

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon hex tank that for the last 3-4 months has had a red slime issue. It doesn't grow on right the sandbed, it grows along the glass and right under the top of the sand... Sometimes its not all red, it can be pink, green, or blue...I am assuming it's all forms of cyno. I have 3 power heads in the tank with a HOB filter so I don't think circulation is an issue. I actually have water being forced into the areas of cyno. I only have a few sand sifters, not sure if that will help as it is right on the edges. My nitrates are 20 ppm or lower. Would my lighting have anything to do with it? It's just one of those junky fluorescent lights (for now). I would think it would have no negative or positive influence as far as algae is concerned. The areas that have cyno do receive sunlight. Is there anything I can do to stop the cyno? I do 10%+ water changes per week. I also siphon as much as the cyno possible... I try to feed only once a day.. Bioload is pretty small... CC star, pincushion urchin, 2 false perc. clowns, six line wrasse, plus my CUC... On a good note, even with the fluorescent lighting, I am growing small amounts of coraline algae.

is it a dead spot at all where no flow get too

regards scott

There should be flow to the location. I have a powerhead shooting straight down into the area. I also have another blowing laterally to the area. It is under the sand, so I think Im getting as much circulation to that area as possible.

Phosphates, nitrates and possibly silicates are the main cause of cyano.

I had a massive outbreak of cyano in my tank after a fairly large cycle caused by uncured LR. I could syphon it out and within a day it was pretty much back to where it was to begin with. I had really high phosphates so started using phosphate remover (using the amount that was in the instructions for a reef tank) and it didn't really do anything. I then used the amount that was in the instructions for a FO system and within about a month it was pretty much gone.

I still have higher phosphates then I would like and I do still have one stubborn patch of cyano in a dead spot but the rest of the tank is completely clear of it.

So I would suggest:
Larger and/or more frequent water changes with phosphate and nitrate free saltwater.
Reduced feeding and possibly changing your main food (some foods contain high phosphates).
Using of phosphate removal media.
Possibly use of nitrate removing media (there seems to be debate as to if this actually works or not).
Adding a refugium with macro algae if possible.
Adding a skimmer (if you dont already have one).
Adding a remote deep sand bed (if possible).

Basically get your phosphates down and then your nitrates and it will go away. Phosphate and nitrate removing media along with regular water changes from a decent water source are good short term answers but can be costly in the long run so using 'fuges and heavy skimming are more economical.

Make sure you monitor your phosphate and nitrate levels when using chemical removal systems. When they start creeping back up again you will need to replace the media. You will probably find to begin with that you have to replace it fairly regularly as it will be removing a lot of the built of phosphate/nitrate. Once it has these down though it will just be removing the amount created in the tank so will not have to be replaced as often.

I am pretty sure the last time I did a phosphate test, it was very low, but I will do another one again tonight. That's what had me confused, because of having the low phosphates... My next water change I will also try maybe 20% or so...

Even small amounts of phosphate can be a problem in a marine aquarium. Pretty much anything over 0.1ppm is going to slow coral growth and have an effect on algae growth. In my experience anything over 0.2 is going to cause cyano. Over 0.3 and cyano is guaranteed and many corals will stop growing completely and probably die.

I would guess given your high nitrates (assuming there high as you say under 20ppm but I know how rubbish some test kits are when trying to get a precise measurement :)) that phosphates are likely to be high too.

I use rowaphos to get rid of phosphates, it works really well. I also got a diamond goby to keep my sand turned over and the cyano dissapeared.

I use rowaphos to get rid of phosphates, it works really well. I also got a diamond goby to keep my sand turned over and the cyano dissapeared.

How can I use Rowaphos in a HOB filter? My tank basically uses a smaller HOB filter with a lot of power heads and a lot of liverock for water circulation / filtration. I do not have a skimmer as I just do regular water changes for now. Also my cyno issue is just on the glass right below or above the sand on the edges, so would any sand sifter really help with this issue? It would basically have to swim along the glass to help at all..

How can I use Rowaphos in a HOB filter? My tank basically uses a smaller HOB filter with a lot of power heads and a lot of liverock for water circulation / filtration. I do not have a skimmer as I just do regular water changes for now. Also my cyno issue is just on the glass right below or above the sand on the edges, so would any sand sifter really help with this issue? It would basically have to swim along the glass to help at all..

I have rowaphos in a HOB filter hanging on my sump (aquaclear 50 or whatever). I took out the sponge/carbon/biofilter that came with it, put some rowaphos in a bag, put some filter floss over the bag and turned the filter on.

You will have to replace it every so often, just test your water and if you notice phosphates or cyano, replace it.

I have rowaphos in a HOB filter hanging on my sump (aquaclear 50 or whatever). I took out the sponge/carbon/biofilter that came with it, put some rowaphos in a bag, put some filter floss over the bag and turned the filter on.

You will have to replace it every so often, just test your water and if you notice phosphates or cyano, replace it.

Ok this might sound stupid, but what kind of bag? Like a small plastic bag?

no no, it comes with a media bag, but you can buy separate media bags. They are made out of filter floss or something so they're porous, but have a fine enough mesh to keep the rowaphos inside.

no no, it comes with a media bag, but you can buy separate media bags. They are made out of filter floss or something so they're porous, but have a fine enough mesh to keep the rowaphos inside.

lol ah ok...I figured thats what it was. I will check to see if they sell it here at my local LFS otherwise Ill be ordering it..Got to do something!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back