FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Straydum

Marine Fever
Reaction score
Common name: Red Shiner

Scientific name: Notropis Lutrensis

Family: Cyprinidae

Origin: California, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, and Wyoming, as well as parts of northen Mexico

Maximum Size:
3"

Care:
A truly beautiful coldwater fish. Males are a lovely sky-blue colour with red fins. When in breeding condition, these colours are heightened and white pimples appear over the head and pectoral fins. Suitable for a commnity tank provided tank mates are not small enough to be eaten. It is a midwater dweller, and would thrive in temperatures of 59 to 77f. Not fussy over water pH however extreme pH and hardness should be avoided, neutral and medium hard water is suitable.

Feeding: It is an omnivore and will take most processed foods. A Varied diet which should include frozen and live foods.

Sexing:
Males exhibit more colours relative to the dull-coloured females.

Breeding:
An egg-scatterer that is rarely bred in captivity. Spawns during the summer months only.

Comments:
A shoaling coldwater species which must have clean, cool, well-oxygenated water. Can be kept in an outdoor pond during a winter that is not harsh, but displays well in an aquarium where the lovely colours can be appreciated.

notropis.jpg

These are native in the creek next to my house...

As a side note, they are not strictly a coldwater fish, and I have kept and captured them in water of temps up to around 31 celsius. They spawn easily as well, and long as you can provide good food, a bit of current, cabomba or something of the like, and about 23-27 degree water they are pretty easy to spawn. Not sure on fry care as I kept them in a self-sustaining pond.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back