Red Devil or Midas

Chris_JT

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a red devil or midas cichlid that im bulkin up a bit in a 30 gallon before i put em in my 150 gallon. has anyone had any experience with red devils or midas?? How big to they usually get?? and can you mix em with other cichlids?? i have a green terror and a severum already in my 150.

I have a red devil/midas cross and I can say that it is the most agressive thing I keep. it bites my hand when doing water changes etc. it bites any pipes in the tank, it also pushes anything in the tank into one corner. I'm not sure how it would mix with your other cichlids but what ever happens, theres going to be some fighting when first introduced. mine is currently about 14"

ste :)

would it be cool to just raise him in the 150 gallon? i think mines a cross too. he's already starting to get the nuchual hump!!!

again, i'm not too sure when it comes to cichlids but I'd say that there could be a bit (or a lot) of fighting which ever. raising them together could reduce this. you could try but you'd have to be prepared to seperate them if they didn't get along.

ste :)

ste i just put my midas in about 2 hours ago, he seems alot more interested in his reflection rather than anybody else. however i did notice one thing, when he was in the 30 he was very shy and stayed in his castle, since puttin him in the 150 he's become alot more outgoing even in such a short period of time. ill let you know how things pan out.

if you bought your fish at a lfs chances are its a devil/midas mix. wild devils dont usually get nuchal humps. since they are now tank raised they are given more nutrients and are influenced more by being kept with midas. Devils grow to usually 10-12 inches max and midas 12-14 max. mixes can go either way. I wouldnt put a devil in anything smaller than a 55 for life depending on the dimensions of the tank. its behavior is usually pretty bad and its really territorial as other cichlids are. 150 seems like a bit of room so maybe ur GT and severum will live. Gt's grow too slow and both are usually no where near the same agression level. gl man. do a search on yahoo, theres 1000000 more things i forgot to say

well, its been almost a week, and eveyones still alive. ive noticed something real strange though, the devil/midas has started to get some black coloration developing all over his body. it seems to be spreading, anyone ever seen this before??

Hmmm

I also keep a midas/devil cross, he's a brilliant white and to be honest...I've never seen one with any black. Any way you can post a pic?

midas/devils always change color. the black usually isnt permanent. might be a water problem but it has happened to me

all of the black coloration has gone away. he seems to dig constantly, i think he's tryin to get to china, there are piles of rocks everywhere!!! another question, how fast do they generally grow???

they are diggers. wil also need a hiding spot. very aggressive. i keep mine with dempseys, green terrors and buttikoferis in a 180. the female is very gentle. will rub against my hand when doing water changes. the male is very aggressive. need to make sure that any rock or decor that you add to the tank will not topple and crush him from the digging.

also watch what you put in the tank as far as decor or tankmates. they will eat anything that fits in their mouths.

sf

Most reactions

Back