Ready for more fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Missy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Finally! After royally messing up and cycling with fish, adding them way too quick and putting way too many in the tank (could you tell I'm still learning??? :blink: )... My water levels are great and I am ready for a few more fish. (I have a 20 gallon hex by the way and do not have much room left in it.)

Here's the problem. First, I have three swordtails which thankfully survived and a small Pleco (Yes, I know, he will grow too large for this tank. I didn't know that when the lfs said he'd be great for me but I am saving for a larger tank so I would like to keep him.) I also have one male sailfin molly that survived, both females died at the hands of my stupidity :*) .
The molly does not seem well, he stays virtually in the same place at the top of the tank and although he shows no signs of illness he is not very active. I think its loneliness since he has been that way since his females died. Is this the case?
If so, I don't know what to do with him since I have learned, doing research now as I should have been beforehand, that he should have salt and Plecos and Corys should not. Also, with 3 mollies, 3 swords and a pleco, the tank is basically overpopulated.
I would definitely like a few panda corys and maybe something that dwells in the top and happily lives alone.
What is in the best interest of my sad molly. Should I return him to the pet store. They are very nice there but I can't exactly vouch for the quality of their tanks.

Sorry to throw so much at everyone but I really appreciate any advice you can offer.

First... if all you have is six fish and a pleco in a 20 gallon, I doubt that your tank is overpopulated. It is true that livebearers like a little salt in their water, but it isn't something that they must have in order to thrive. If I were you, I'd buy a few more mollies, and throw the salt idea out the window. Your molly could still be recovering from life in a cycling tank. He may still come around. If you personally can't say that the fish store tanks are a great place to be, he's probably better off with you. Don't feel too guilty about your cycling mistakes. I've kept fish for years and had never heard of the cycling concept until joining this forum. The point is, we're learning! :nod:

I say get your molly a couple of girlfriends! I expect he's still not feeling 100% after the tank cycling but what's done is done - it's time to move on. I certainly don't feel you'd be over-populating your tank at this stage and since you have plans for the pleco, I don't think it'll be a problem. Just make sure you clean your gravel regularly and do water changes because that pleco will make a bit of a mess.

Thanks for the A.O.K. I'll hopefully be able to add two mollies this weekend at the latest and go on from there. Thanks

This is strictly an opinion, so take it for whatever it's worth. :rolleyes:

I've always heard that mollies should have salt in the water. If you don't have your heart set on mollies, why not wait a bit and see if he does come around. If not, you may change your plans and go with the corys on the bottom and perhaps a nice colorful gourami or two for the top.

Since corys shouldn't have salt, and the pleco you already have shouldn't either, do you really want to take a chance of getting more fish that won't thrive without it?

Thanks for the suggestions Inchworm. I have thought of that and I am still undecided. I somewhat feel a commitment to this molly I have and feel that if I keep him then I must get him some "girlfriends". However, there seems to be so much controversary over if they will thrive without salt or if it is an absolute need. I have no intention of buying more mollies to be miserable unless I believe the water I have for them is appropriate so,... basically, I'm still undecided. :crazy:

Mollies thrive in salt. They can even live in salt water tanks (I know a very experienced fish keeper who kept mollies in a sw tank for years). I wouldn't keep them in a tank without salt, but that's just my humble opinion.

Thanks Aquanut. I think you are right. My molly has seriously declined in the last few hours. I posted about him about an hour ago. I think he will not make it.... Yet another screw up. Oops. :sad:

Don't beat yourself up, Missy. You're here learning now, and that's what counts at this point. I would guess that most of the people here lost fish when they started the hobby. I know I sure did.

We all lose fish, Missy, so consider this a lesson learned and go on from here.

May I suggest you visit some of the other lfs in your area? You have questioned the quality of your present one's tanks, so your fish may have been weak to begin with.

Try to find an independent shop to buy your fish at, or a chain store with experienced sales help. Get to know them and they will be a great help to you. If the person who sold you the mollies had mentioned that they needed salt in the water you may have been spared this sad experience.

Thanks everyone. The Molly died. So, on from here I'm going to start considering tank mates for my swords and pleco. Thanks for the advise. Look for a post regarding tank mates coming soon. Also, planning a move and will certainly post regarding moving my tanks. Assuming that is quite a project.

Sorry to hear that Missy :sad: Don't beat yourself up over it though hon as it sounds like you really care about those fish and I'm sure the rest will come good for you :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back