Ray's Journal

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Rayne457

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi my name is Ray. I am going to start a marine journal although I already have a tank started. I have a 55 US gallon saltwater tank. It is fairly new(about 2 weeks) and upgraded from a 25 US gallon. I am not an expert by any means. Therefore, I do not have the proper equipment and do not have enough live rock. Also, I didn't have anywhere to keep my fish so they were added right away. That is why I ask that you bare with me and understand why my tank doesn't follow a lot of protocols I have seen from some of you.

I am married with two children. A boy and a girl. Therefore money is tight and things for the tank will come at a slow pace.

In my tank I have:
-1 Yellow tailed damsel
-2 Clown fish
-1 Coral banded shrimp
-1 Blue legged hermit crab
-2 Bumblebee snails
-1 mushroom coral
All of these are doing fine so far. The mushroom coral was a freebie and is doing surprisingly well. Here are a few pictures to get started. I do not have the best camera in the world though.

This is the mushroom coral.
SDC12601.jpg

Full shot of tank. Notice one side is cleaner because I didn't have a light but now have a make shift light for time being.
SDC12600.jpg

Yellow Tailed Damsel.
SDC12597.jpg

Clown fish pair.
SDC12593.jpg

Left corner can kinda see my coral banded shrimp.
SDC12592.jpg

thats ambititious if you do not have the proper equipment!!

you obviously know the set up isn;t adequate enoughhence your comment. why did you add the fish straight away? is that because they came from the smaller tank

I would keep a very close eye on parameteres and make more live rock and a decent light a priority if you want to keep corals :good:

Hi and welcome.

Nice coral. It will be good to watch this thread as your tank progresses.

First things first I would defo get some more LR for the tank and also some proper lighting otherwise that coral is not going to cope to well.

I have had a marine tank up and running for about a month now, its my first one as well. There is a lot to learn and if im completely honest all the questions I had all got answered here, there are some very helpful & knowledgeable people on this forum so dont be afraid to ask questions.

thats ambititious if you do not have the proper equipment!!

you obviously know the set up isn;t adequate enoughhence your comment. why did you add the fish straight away? is that because they came from the smaller tank

I would keep a very close eye on parameteres and make more live rock and a decent light a priority if you want to keep corals :good:
Yes, the fish did come from the smaller tank. The 55 gal. was originally a freshwater tank and those fish are in the 25 gal. This was a complete switch between the tanks. Like I have already said I know I need more live rock and better lighting. I also asked that you bare with me and not attack me for being ill equipped. Money is tight. However, I have already ordered a T5 HO with moonlight LEDS I just am saving up the money and should have it in a few weeks. I am also buying LR slowly as I am able to afford it. I said the mushroom coral was a free one and so do not have any intention of keeping coral besides it for a very long time.

Hi and welcome.

Nice coral. It will be good to watch this thread as your tank progresses.

First things first I would defo get some more LR for the tank and also some proper lighting otherwise that coral is not going to cope to well.

I have had a marine tank up and running for about a month now, its my first one as well. There is a lot to learn and if im completely honest all the questions I had all got answered here, there are some very helpful & knowledgeable people on this forum so dont be afraid to ask questions.
Thank you and welcome to the salty side. Before I set up my 55 gal I had a 25 gal SW tank for about 8 months. Therefore, everything in the 55 came from the 25. I currently have 20 lbs of live rock and would like at least 40lbs more for a total of 60lbs. Unfortunately this will happen slowly and overtime due to money. However, in November I will have a bigger pay day and should be able to get a lot of what I need. :D

Can't wait to see the progress your tank makes both in person and on here! How is the red feather duster? Did you figure out what that other object was near it? How is the "borrowed" light?

Can't wait to see the progress your tank makes both in person and on here! How is the red feather duster? Did you figure out what that other object was near it? How is the "borrowed" light?
The red duster is fine. The other thing is just a different type of duster. I removed that light. My friend Mike let me borrow a better light for that side that matches the light i have over the mushroom coral. This is until I can buy my T5 HO. I may have found a deal on some live rock. Someone has extra live rock but unsure how much. They are gonna find out and I should know by tomorrow. Since its a friends acquaintance I should receive it cheap.

I want more fish too! :p However, if I had a place for my fish I already had then I would have cycled it well before adding them...I probably wont add more for another month or two.

:hi: Ray, its refreshing to hear that you realise that your set-up is not ideal and you intend putting it right - good on you, will be watching with interest.

Remember, patience is not just a virtue here on the salty side but a necessity!

Seffie x

Picked myself up a starter CUC.

-2 bristle starfish(a black one, and a reddish one)
-1 emerald crab
-2 turbo snails
-2 Mexican margaritas
-and around 6 miscellaneous snails that I honestly cannot remember the names of.

I'm not sure when I will be over again but I look forward to seeing them. I found a new "creature" on my LR today and I have been using a good website to try to ID it.

Most reactions

Back