Ramshorn snail identification

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Umbra

Reaction score
I got some 1 inch ramshorn snails. how can I be certain if they arent giant ramshorn snails and just normal ramshorn snails that wont eat healthy, living plants?

Here are the pictures of the snails

Attachments

• IMG_20170427_164716.jpg
    IMG_20170427_164716.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20170427_164700.jpg
    IMG_20170427_164700.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 126
I can just tell you they look like regular red rams.

They are your average rams horn snails, often seen as pest snails but I like them.

Those aren't the red color form but rather the normal brown/black color form. Red rams will have a very pink foot and orange/red shells as they lack the darker pigment. There's a surprising amount of color forms, like blue, spotted, pearl, pink etc. I've been wanting some blues and pearls myself.

Here's some red rams and then the black/brown color from on the left.
IMG_0930.JPG

I must agree the blues are pretty, idk if I want the invasion though because once there in they never get out lol

They are your average rams horn snails, often seen as pest snails but I like them.

Those aren't the red color form but rather the normal brown/black color form. Red rams will have a very pink foot and orange/red shells as they lack the darker pigment. There's a surprising amount of color forms, like blue, spotted, pearl, pink etc. I've been wanting some blues and pearls myself.

Here's some red rams and then the black/brown color from on the left.
View attachment 83791

I must agree the blues are pretty, idk if I want the invasion though because once there in they never get out lol

Either way, I'm just glad they aren't giant ramshorns. for curiosity's sake, is it possible to get other colors from the ones I got?

that idk about, I know genetics of shrimp but idk if that applies to snails. you would be culling a bunch.

Idk about getting blues from normal coloration, I would bet it takes a lot of generations getting it right, afterall the blues had to come from the normal coloration.
I got my reds and spotted rams from the normal color form. I "specially breed" them and by that I mean I put the one red I had in the same bowl as a normal snail and they laid eggs then bam, lots of red rams. Did the same with the spotted ones and now the majority of my rams are either red or have spots.

You know shrimp genetics? can I maybe pm you? I just got my first shrimps today and i'm VERY interested in how their genetics work :D
Yea shoot me a pm if you need help with that subject :)

Idk about getting blues from normal coloration, I would bet it takes a lot of generations getting it right, afterall the blues had to come from the normal coloration.
I got my reds and spotted rams from the normal color form. I "specially breed" them and by that I mean I put the one red I had in the same bowl as a normal snail and they laid eggs then bam, lots of red rams. Did the same with the spotted ones and now the majority of my rams are either red or have spots.

I find this genetic's stuff... VERY interesting O_O

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back