Rainbow fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

bigphesta

Reaction score
Not sure what forum this goes in, as Im not sure what a rainbow fish qualifies as, but I've been pretty dissapointed with them so far- was promised alot of color and they haven't delivered, till this morning. Holy cow! Last night they were just plain old grey, today the larger has so much color I almost didn't recognize the fish. Beautiful black stripes on both fins, color running under the fins, color around the head. WOW. And there was no hint of this last night.

Of course, he's running like a wild man in the tank, so does this have something to do with mating? How do you sex these fish? And what's the proper forum for ?'s on Rainbows?

The females are usually smaller and not as deep bodied as the males.
The males are brightly coloured (may even change colour when trying to mate) he will parade around the tank flaring his fins.

As for the neon rainbow you have if it has yellow fins it is a female - red for male.

Congrats on getting some colour. It does take a while sometime I have noticed when I turn the lights on in the morning my boesmannis are very much more colourful than they are when I turn the lights off at night. Im actually thinking of changing to a less bright bulb, cuz Im thinking maybe the bright lights wash their colours out.Just a thought. Males also have more robust finnage. And dont worry I still havent fingered out what forum rainbows belong to either.

Wish i could find some rainbow's none of my LFS cary them.....:( o'well....

~dan

My Boesemans Rainbows chain colour alot depending on what mood they are on or if im fiddling in the 50G tank or not. In the morning when I take the cover off the tank and the lights come on some of my older looking rainbows have a lot darker colour to them, much more like their adult colouring.

They are beautiful fish and very social and friendly.

Ben

Most reactions

Back