Rainbow Alternatives

Vengeful Silence

Reaction score
I have a 100 gallon tank with Blood Parrots, YoYo Loaches and some Rainbows. The Rainbows have fallen far short of my expectations being skittish, drab, and just generally unappealing to me. It's nothing against Rainbows or those who like them, but they just aren't for me.

I've always been a fan of Platies. I'd never think of putting them with a fish that can get 8-9", but since the parrots can't close their mouths, it seems like the platies (I would buy larger specimens, of course) would be pretty safe. I would like your input on this combination. If you think it's a recipe for disaster, I would appreciate any suggestions for outgoing (not shy or skittish), colorful fish.

Thank you in advance for your help.

You may have female rainbows, which can be drab, although Ive never found them skittish at all, depends on the size group you have.

You could try large platies, without having kept a BP before I wouldnt know their capacity to eat smaller fish.

Another alternative would be giant danios, active, colourful and large enough.

Thank you for the reply, minxfishy. On an aside, your aquarium in your signature always looks AMAZING!

I have three male and five female boesemani rainbows. While the males certainly have more color, they still don't strike me. Not to mention my males are the most skittish of the Rainbows. There is only one that is out on a consistent basis. I don't know why I'm having this experience with them when you haven't, but either way, I'm not as fond of them as I had imagined myself being.

Thank you for the suggestion of the giant danios. They aren't quite as colorful as I'd like either (when I say colorful, I mean bold, vibrant colors :) ), but they make a good backup plan in case the platies end up as expensive feeder fish.

Thank you again for your reply.

IMO big BP's may have no problem wating full grown platies but may leave them alone. How about swordtails?

Most reactions

Back