Rabbit snails

Like I've said, older Tylomelania towutensis look similar to Faunus ater. When they're younger these rabbit snail species are darker on the tip and have yellow spots. But I hope you're aware of it that there are more rabbit snails species than just one. I also had other rabbit snails species. And yes, they certainly differ from eachother.
And like I've already mentioned, mine are freshwater snails while Faunus ater snails are brackish water snails.
Are faunus ater only brackish? I have some tylomelania sp (as sold here, i assume some are perfecta though i can't find a reliable source with the differences. I have the two most common types, brown shell, yellow body with wrinkles or beige body no visible wrinkles) and i am keeping one 'capucino' faunus atter i took from one lady here and they are all in the same tank of fresh water and fed the same and i have had the rabbits for over two years and the faunus for over a year. Is the faunus hurting in fresh water? All are sold and kept here in fresh one. Same as most nerites, i have had one for around six years in a fresh water tank. But i never measured salinity of my water, but it is a drinkable water and i don't taste any salt in it

Is the faunus hurting in fresh water?
It's originally a brackish water species but thrives also in freshwater. Compare it with some livebearer fish, like e.g., mollies and guppies. These are originally freshwater fish but do thrive as well in brackish water. There are also brackish water livebearers such as Micropoecilia picta fr instance that do thrive in freshwater as well (give it some time to get adjusted). Most commercial bred M.pictas are born in freshwater nowadays.

Most reactions

Back