Quick Ro/di Filter Question

That's a DI filter, ideally you'd want a full RO unit, but then some people get away with tap water. Personally I'd go for the proper RO unit to be honest. Depends a lot on what you're willing to try.

Yea, I would go for a RO unit as well but it's gonna cost a lot more than that.

ok could you explain what the difference is? so an RO unit is also at DI unit? so this is basically just half the filtration of a full RO unit? so if im not planning on keeping anything too picky, then i should be ok as long as my water has low levels of contaminates? Im thinking im gonna try just this. At least until around summer when i can make enough money in a short period of time to buy a ull fledge RO unit

RO unit is a membrane filter that gives near pure water. DI is a chemical filter that removes many contaminants (possibly some that an RO may miss).

Put basically, RO is purer and DI is sometimes used as an add on to RO.

The way I see it, think about how much you're investing in stock, and how much you're willing to pay to get the water right.

ok got it. I can see how your right in the situation of investing in stock.. Its gonna be close to $100 usd just for fish let alone coral. so i could justify spending the money on a decent RO system. plus.. Got a $96 bonus from work this week!
yay.gif
 Doesn't sound like much but as a kid going to college $100 is $100. Besides i didn't plan on having that money so i figured there is my RO unit. Could you guys possibly point me in the right direction as far as a nice unit for around $100? Possibly less? Is there any unit thats a faucet hook up too? Im trying to look ahead, and one of the reasons i would like a nano reef is that i want to take it to college with me. If you could help with pointing me in the right direction as far as what to look into that would be much apreciated
good.gif

Could you guys possibly point me in the right direction as far as a nice unit for around $100?

I've never seen one for under $100...would take a pretty crazy clearance sale or something.

Is there any unit thats a faucet hook up too?

Yes. For example, I'e got the 50gpd 4-stage one of these:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12093&ref=4032&subref=AA&cmpid=PPC-G-4032
You put a thing into the faucet (which has to stay there) and then take the yellow tube with black end on and off of it. Only problem I've had is that my faucet is a piece of junk with bad threading inside, so destroyed one of the plastic inserts that came with the unit (I had to go get a $4 metal replacement from the hardware store).

I'm sure there are others that come with similar attachment kits but it's not something I've looked into.

Im trying to look ahead, and one of the reasons i would like a nano reef is that i want to take it to college with me.

Living on or off campus? A reef of any sort in a dorm is a bad idea, particularly if you're not allowed to stay there the whole year.

thanks for the link! the 24gpd 3-stage isnt a bad price at all, and its on sale! do i need a certain gpd? i figure 24 is a little bit more than twice my tank volume and after a sand bed and lr then i figure it willbe closer to three times the volume. would that be fine? ill have containers with premixed salt and regular RO water on hand at all times.

oh and i most likely to happen is that i live in dorms the first year then off campusthe second, i wasnt really planning on moving my tank until my second year of college when im in a house/appartment

The gpd simply tells you how much water it'll make in a day. Depends on how long you're willing to wait for it to fill a bucket.

It also gives some clue as to the waste water level, the more RO produced the less waste but it's not by a huge amount. Both of these things depend a lot more on water pressure and temperature.

If you're happy to have a slow one then 24gpd is fine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back