Quick Plant Question

Doesn't matter with aquatic plants, the roots ate only really used as an anchor.

I just got an order of plants from Dr. Fosters and Smith and they were great. Perked right up in the tank and look well so far.

Alright great, so I'll definitely try giving the roots a small trim with my next batch of plants.

And thanks for the input FishFanatic04, I think that I'm going to do that as well. Are any of the plant packs in this link beginner friendly? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=768&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

I'm so new to plants, I hope someone else can answer your question on the packs, concerning lighting and other variables. If you just have the basic lights on your tank then look for plants that say Low light.... Anubis plants are great, bright green and broad leaves. I attached mine to a piece of wood since it grows best on something, instead of in the gravel.

Most stem plants are beginner friendly so things like Ludwigia, Rotala, Bacopa, Hygrophilia, Wisteria, Elodea, Cabomba.

Then there's things like Cryptocoryne (I'd go for the Wendtii range for beginners, nice and easy and look nice too!) Java ferns, Amazon swords, Vallis in some cases, Sagittaria and Anubias.

Those few listed, if you pick a few you like you should have a great base to a planted tank and with basic Fertiliser and liquid CO2 dosing (Vallis doesnt like liquid CO2 in my experiences!), nice and healthy, green plants.

Remember though that red varieties like Ludwigia Repens need high lighting to stay red, and with high lighting that can mean algae if fert dosing isn't high enough to compensate.

Hope this helps.

Okay thank you for all the suggestions. I'm going to search for a few of them on Dr. Fosters and Smith and probably order from there, I just went to an LFS and they had a small selection of plants but they had no ID on the tank and the person couldn't tell me exactly what they were, so I'd rather know what I was buying and what I have in my tank.

As for fertilizer, is that something I should have already added :look: ? If not, is there any special way that I should add it to the tank, or any special brand I should get?

Thanks a ton again for all the help everyone!

If you go to the Tropica website they have all the pictures of plants with the names under them which will make ID'ing easier for you.

It's no problem that you haven't started, I don't know if places like Aqua Essentials etc deliver to the US, but basically just need some Liquid CO2 like EasyCarbo or Seachem Flourish Excel, then what's called an EI fert which is dry salts that you mix with water and dose or something pre-mixed like TPN+

What do you guys about this pack?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=768+2146&pcatid=2146

Or should I just order individual plants of the ones suggested in this thread?

And thanks NathanPrince I'll definitely look into those products you suggested

You may want to order some individuals IMO. When I ordered stem plants from them they were in bunches and filled quite a bit of space in the tank. You unwrap them and separate the stems before planting them...1 bunch of anacharis filled a lot of space in my tank.... I think you'll save money by ordering a couple of types of plants on their own.

For a 10g I think you'll end up with wayyy too many plants with that pack and then they will be crowded. Its more fun to pick some out anyway :) Then you can order the specific plants you want.

Yeah that's what I was thinking FishFantatic, thanks. I played around on the site some more and saw that the lowest pack option was 30 gallons, so it would definitely have been too many plants =)

Okay, so in my cart on Dr. Fosters and Smith right now I have Java Fern, Anacharis (Elodea), Micro sword, Hygrophilia Temple Narrow Leaf, and Anubias. I had a larger selection, but narrowed it down to these 5 because they ware classified as "easy" with either "low" or "moderate" light requirements. Do you guys think this would be a good choice and would fill my tank up nicely?

Should be plenty for your tank, all very easy plants to care for so a good introduction into the Green side :D

I liked the micro sword I got...Just had to get it out of the pot in one piece. Looks great in the tank

Okay awesome :)

So one last question (before the plants come and I'm hounding you guys again :D ), I bought this stuff the first time I went to my LFS because the guy said it was good and that they never had it in stock: http://www.petco.com/product/13587/NutraFin-Plant-Gro-Aquatic-Plant-Essential-Micro-Nutrients.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductListTopRated_Fish_2-_-NutraFin%20Plant%20Gro%20Aquatic%20Plant%20Essential%20Micro-Nutrients-13587

I added one dose to it the first day when I put those plants in, this isn't fertilizer is it? I read the reviews and they called it fertilizer, but I can't tell if it is just a micro-nutrient supplement or a fertilizer like what you guys are talking about.

If you aren't doing C02 i would stay away from ferts. I added ferts to my low tech tank once and completely ruined it :/
Don't add them unless your plants start showing deficiencies, there are plenty of ferts in your tap water and in your fish poop.

That pack looks good for what you are going for, that anacharis is going to grow like mad, the only thing I am unsure about is the micro sword, i have no exp with them

Most reactions

Back