Quick intro and centrepiece fish suggestions?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Carly92

Reaction score
Hi all, Aussie here looking for help choosing a centrepiece fish for my 10 gallon planted (and cycled) aquarium.
It currently has 5 male endlers livebearers and im still trying to decide if i wanted to put 4 pygmy corys in there or some cherry shrimp as bottom feeders. Really i am just looking for suggestions on a nice peaceful centrepiece fish that wont eat my endlers. I was thinking a honey gourami but i have only seen the dwarf gourami in the 3 LFS around me and not sure if they will eat my tiny boys. My son wants a blue fish but ideally i just want something peaceful with a bit of colour that doesnt mind being the only one of its kind in the tank. Sorry for the long post but thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Hi, welcome to the forum

I'll be honest and say that a 10 gallon tank isn't really big enough for a centrepiece fish. It is not big enough for dwarf gouramis, for example.

If this was my tank, I would be inclined to get some more male endlers and if your son likes blue fish, how about the blue coloured cherry shrimps if you can source any.

But i also need to ask - how hard is your tap water? You should be able to find that information somewhere on your water supplier's website. We need both the number and the units as there are about half a dozen different units they could use.
Your hardness will affect which fish species are suitable.

It says online our water hardness is 80-157 mg/L . And thank you for your reply, what about a single blue male guppy? Or not enough room? I would love some of those velvet blue shrimp but not easy to find in australia

Im in adelaide, i have looked online but the only blue ones i found were something like $85 each lol. I might see if my LFS can get any as they hav the normal cherry shrimp and the crystal reds. Thanks for the link

No Probs.

Keep your shrimp on a dark or black substrate, their coloration gets much deeper and darker,

Last edited:
Yea i hav fluval stratum ☺ one more quick question, can shrimp climb up the filter or heater cord and escape?

one more quick question, can shrimp climb up the filter or heater cord and escape?
Yes.

This is one of my shrimp feeding on the crud
28hzf6h.jpg

Read more here
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/houdini-the-escaping-shrimp.441732/

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back