The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tropicalgirl2007

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All,

New to all this.

Q1. What is all the sludge on top of the filter? Its on top of the first section of the filter pads, is this normal?

Q2. Will the ammonia testing kits detect ammonium? So that even if the ammonia is now ammonium it will still read as having high levels, I do hope this makes sense!!!!

Becky

Hi Becky,

Q1. - it's fish poo ... decomposing plants etc. from the water. Technically called "mulm" after the bacteria in the tank have broken it down to the brown sludge. And yes - it's perfectly normal. Just rinse the top or first pad in tank water every time you do your water changes - until it gets too clogged up - then put a new one in. The top or first pad is often different from the others - for this reason - it just strains out the gunk.

Q2. Yes I think most test kits will test for total ammonia. I take it your pH is below 7. Ammonium is slightly less toxic to fish.

P.S If the first pad isn't different but is just one of the foam ones - then don't throw it out - just keep rinsing it.

What does having to PH below 7 do? Its is below 7 just wondering why you mentioned it.

The reason for that is that pH is a measure of how acidic or basic water is, which is in turn a direct reading on the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) for acidic water, or hydroxide ions (OH-) for basic water (you may also note that combining these two ions gives you water, H2O). Ammonia is a stable atom NH3 (nitrogen and 3 covalently bonded hydrogen). However in this atom there are two exposed electrons that are unbonded, which generate a negative attraction. In acidic water you may recall from before there is an excess of dissolved hydrogen ions (H+), which being positive are attracted to these negative electrons. When a hydrogen ion forms an ionic bond with the atom ammonia (NH3), it becomes the ion ammonium (NH4+). Just thought I’d try to reinforce this with some chemistry :).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back