Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Questions about planted tank decor

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by NoLa24, Sep 21, 2018.

1. NoLa24

NoLa24 New Member

I recently set up my first planted aquarium, I intend to add shrimp eventually after its cycled and established. I'm curious as to wether or not petrified wood is ok to use as a decor piece? I soaked it in treated water for several days before adding to planted tank, but I'm wondering if this will be ok down the line when I add shrimp to the tank? I'm personally not a fan of driftwood but I would like at least one non-rock decor piece in there. Thanks in advance for any advice as I'm quite the novice regarding planted tanks/aquascaping

2. fluttermoth

fluttermoth The current Mrs Treguard ;)
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator

I wouldn't use it.

First of all, I should point out that petrified wood is a rock; it's a fossil. Many fossils dissolve in water, and many others contain minerals and heavy metals that would definitely not be safe in a fish tank, especially not one for shrimps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NoLa24

NoLa24 New Member

Ok thanks, good to know

4. Byron

Byron Member

I concur with fluttermoth. I do recall reading a while back somewhere that petrified wood will dissolve minerals. Real wood is beneficial and worth having; my tanks are loaded with chunks of wood and/or branches. I do collect branches but only trees like oak, maple, beech; my chunks are Malaysian Driftwood purchased from a fish store (it is also available online).