Questions About Cycling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jonnyf84

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I am pretty sure running carbon when cycling will not change the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate but i just want to make sure - is this the case?

I read somewhere (can't remember for the life of me where) that raising the temp to 90F will speed up the process slightly - can anyone confirm this?

I know that the nitrifying process will pretty much stop with a ph of 5 and below, does the same happen with high ph (say 8+)

finally and most importantly my ammonia test kit is measured in mg/l (Nutrafin) with the colour chart stages been 0, 0.6, 1.2, 2.4, 4.9 and 7.3 mg/l - how do i convert this to ppm? (as i am going to add 4-5ppm daily but have no idea how much that is)

many thanks,
jonny.

I am pretty sure running carbon when cycling will not change the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate but i just want to make sure - is this the case?

I read somewhere (can't remember for the life of me where) that raising the temp to 90F will speed up the process slightly - can anyone confirm this?

I know that the nitrifying process will pretty much stop with a ph of 5 and below, does the same happen with high ph (say 8+)

finally and most importantly my ammonia test kit is measured in mg/l (Nutrafin) with the colour chart stages been 0, 0.6, 1.2, 2.4, 4.9 and 7.3 mg/l - how do i convert this to ppm? (as i am going to add 4-5ppm daily but have no idea how much that is)

many thanks,
jonny.

I have my heater turned up to just over 80F i read on another fish forum that if its too high the cycle will stall

many thanks,
jonny.

I have my heater turned up to just over 80F i read on another fish forum that if its too high the cycle will stall

indeed 90 will speed up your cycle, 86-90 is said to be the best area, life would have to change very much for 90 to cause problems for a bacteria colony. i would avoid carbon at all costs, especially during the cycle, keep it for drawing and out door cooking. oh and removing meds

as a rough rule of thumb, 1 mg/l=1 ppm

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back