Question about gravel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Glostik

Reaction score
I use natural gravel that i buy in like 20 pound white bags from my LFS. I like it alot , and its natural color is nice.

I wonder if i can mix like fluorite into the gravel to have it benefit my plants more.

Or what should i mix with the gravel to help out my plants more?

I dont like using sand.

If i mix flourite or laterite into the gravel, wont it be more permanent than root tablets?

Glostik said:
If i mix flourite or laterite into the gravel, wont it be more permanent than root tablets?
I don't know about fluorite but if you mix laterite into your setup tank it'll probably tint your water red. I bought some laterite to mix into my gravel and found out this tidbit of info so I might try to return it.

yup, laterite should be used under the gravel as far as i know, with a tank already full root tabs is the way to go, but yes things like laterite is much more permanent compared to root tabs :)

Glostik said:
I wonder if i can mix like fluorite into the gravel to have it benefit my plants more.
Yes you can. Your water will turn a reddish/brown color from all the silt from the flourite floating around. Within a few days your tank should be crystal clear.

i have not to great gravel for my planted tank too, and have been wanting to spend $ on flourite. how ever im still not sure how to switch the gravel, especially since it should be as much to the bottom as it can get.

would it be better to remove everything and layer it? or mix it?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back