Question About Changing Filter Sponges Please

Doug123

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 Aquaclear 150's and 1 mini.

One of the 150's is new, I just bought it last weekend. I used to have this setup but one broke.

Anyway, I bought new sponges for both of the 150's and the mini. Again, the one filter was brand new so it had new sponges. The other 150 and mini was old, and I had been kind of neglectful on the sponge cleaning so they were a mess.

The tank was already cycled and running so I didn't want to get rid of all the sponges and lose the bacteria.

I took the other 150 sponges and threw them away and replaced with new ones.

So right now the mini is the only one with the original sponges.

My question: How long do I need to leave those old sponges in the mini? I figure a week is plenty long enough for the bacteria to be alive in the other 2 filter sponges now also. I thought a day was even long enough but figured I'd wait a week.

I know you can rinse the sponges in tank water and reuse, but like I said, these are really old and need replaced. I'll be rinsing the new ones.

So do you think a week is plenty? I wanted to ask some experts before I get rid of them.

Thanks! :)

i would have been inclined to change over more slowly, changing one sponge at a time, till they were all done. it could take some time to recover lost bacteria. do one sponge at a time, with a week in between. others may have different ideas.

i would have been inclined to change over more slowly, changing one sponge at a time, till they were all done. it could take some time to recover lost bacteria. do one sponge at a time, with a week in between. others may have different ideas.

OK, glad I asked. Maybe I will just rinse these then and keep them a while.

Thanks for the input.

Most reactions

Back