Quesiotn about fluval filters

Al Bundy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I own a fluval plus 3 internal filter, and ever since I first put the filter inside my tank (i.e. brand new), the yellow clogging indicator tab has always been up and it won't go down. The filter pads are clean, the water is flowing great through it, so why is it telling me its clogged?

Anyone else have this problem?

lol, other way round mate :)

Indicator UP and loose = clean.

Its clogged when the indicator is being pulled downwards by the pressure created by the pump not being able to pull enough water in. Also, try tapping the indicator downwards, it should spring right back up instantly, if it is sluggish then you have a slight clogging :)

Up = good :)

And I think it only works when the pump is on full power, think I remember reading that....

Tropjunky said:
y don't u get an external one. it's got more room for media and the filtrations better. or get a rena or eheim the brand is loads better.
Externals are more expensive. Some of us can't afford them.

I thoroughly disagree that eheim or rena are better. They all do the job just as well, but I've found that fluvals handle dirty sponges better - my eheim makes a deadly rattle when the sponge gets even a single spec of dust in the sponge.

Fluval gets my vote.

Also, fluval flow control kicks my eheim one to the kerb, then jumps up and down on it shouting "YOU SUCK, YES YOU DO!".

Edit: Forgot to ask, why do you say eheim/rena > fluval? :)

whether the other maks are better or not, the fluvals do a perfectly good job on the average tank and unless the filter is actually broken I don't see a reason to change it.

I have the 2+ and I could never remember which way round the clogging indicator thing was, I used to ask my mum about 6 times a day "hey look the yellow thing's up is that good or bad???" :lol:

Thanks for all the great advice.

Tropjunky, the filter came as part of a kit, and true, I can't afford an external one.

Most reactions

Back