Query on Molly/Platy difference

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Thamizha

Reaction score
Hi all,

i've checked the other threads and am not finding any thing relevant.

I have 2 female platys and 2 female mollys. Other than color difference - i notice that their mouths are shaped differently.

the Mollys (i think) have wide mouths which seem to extend from side to side. (like a duck's bill if you imagine a bit). Looking head on at the fish - the mouth is like a long slit side to side (ear to ear)
The platys on the other hand have smaller mouths and looking head on - the mouth is more of a small oval and i can see the sides of their body on either side of their mouth.

giving the explanation above - are my fish deformed and/or is that how they shoudl look? Have i mixed up the platy's and mollys? I cant see any head on photos on google so am unsure if that's a difference.

I will upload photos this evening of the fishes.

regards,
Thamizha

The molly and the platy, while both are livebearers and thus in the sub-family Poeciliinae in the family Poeciliidae, they are in different genera (plural of genus) and thus not as closely related as some might assume. Mollies are vegetarian, so their mouths are designed for rasping and grazing algae from surfaces. Platy are primarily carnivore, eating insects, larvae, etc. Their respective mouths are thus designed for their primary diet foods.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back