Pygmy cory hiding all the time

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bicyclemaster

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I got 6 pygmy cory for my 10G about 3 days ago and ever since I've barely seen them. From time to time I see 2, maybe 3 but never all of them. I think I've seen 5 of them yesterday at one point but they just keep hiding. Is it their normal behaviour at the beginning? Or maybe it's because I only got a few of them. I know the tank is a but small for them but I thought they would be fine since they are so small. There's also a mystery snail in there.

Parameters are:
Ammonia 0 ppm
No2 0 ppm
No3 10 ppm

Temperature is 24⁰C with a HOB filter + airpump for extra surface agitation. Also CO2 enough to turn a drop checker blueish green.

They are shy in a new tank, and with only a small group of them, so both things are likely influencing that. A 10g tank is fine for pygmy cories, they're tiny fish with a light bioload. But six isn't a terrible starting number either, although as far as they're concerned, the large the group, the better!

What other stocking is in the tank though? That can make a big difference to how shy they are, and how many pygmies the tank can support.

Is the tank planted, and have hardscape and decor the pygmies can use to hide? Shy fish like these do better in tanks with lots of hiding places to help them feel secure. The more hidey holes they can dash to when spooked, the more safe they feel to come out into the open, and the more you see them!

But any fish needs a few days to adjust to a new tank, it's a big change for them after all.

I attached an image with the tank, they have a lot of hiding spots. I messed up a bit and got 5 cherry barb with the pygmys... I didn't realise that they should go in tanks over 20g and I cannot really return them... i think they might be scaring the corys, but they're not aggressive at all.

I've never had problems with parameters in this tank. In the past there were over 80 RCS in there and had no problem. There might be 1 or 2 left but hope not.

I was thinking of getting 3-4 more pygmys so that maybe they stop being that shy/scared. Should I? I'm scared that they might not eat anything and die until they adjust... I've actually never had problems with fish being to scared to come out.

Thanks a lot for the help

Attachments

• 20240129_010724.jpg
    20240129_010724.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 11
At the moment they are getting used to their new home, but wait until they realize that there is no predator to them, they will start swimming in the open.

Also these little guys are like most bottom dwellers, once their belly is full they fall in "economy mode"... They will hide somewhere take a nap and live the big life.

If you feed them "too well" they are going to become lazy and get out only for meal time.

Don't feed them until they become active at searching for food for a while and let them forage a bit before feeding them. This could mean feeding them every other day.

If you feed them right before the light comes off at night, They will be more active during day time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back