Purigen and Phosguard.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Huntress

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was just curious about the Seachem Purigen and Phosguard thoughts? I purchased some Phosguard but haven't placed it in yet, because I read its good for getting rid of brown algae on plants. I know plants need phosphate so I grabbed a test. I read that if your levels are high you can place the phosguard in for a week till the levels drop. But anyway, what are your thoughts on these two products?

Never used phosguard. But I am a huge fan of purigen. Ive used it for a long time and think its a great replacement for carbon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Restricting phosphate will give you more algae problems, it is an essential macro nutrient required for plant growth, the cause of your existing algae will most likely be a nutrient deficiency. If you could provide tank and lighting details this will help, also for what duration are your lights on?

I too have been fighting brown algae/diatoms, whichever it may actually be, for a long time. I tried the phosguard. If it has helped at all, it is only slightly. My plants are still doing fine using it. But it is not the miracle cure for the problem of brown stuff everywhere. ( I sure wish it was )

I like Purigen, it works pretty well

Last edited:
Phosphates come along with fish food. Excess phosphates WILL promote algae, however, in a well planted, established tank, excess phosphates will likely not be an issue.
As I mentioned in a previous thread I have used Purigen in the past, but can't buy the marketing hype. In my testing I found it's use did not reduce tank nitrates. For water polishing, I feel you can do just as well with inexpensive polyester fiber...I get mine at Wallymart in the craft pillow section for about $4 for a huge bag.
For 'super polish' I've been 'playing' with Marineland's somewhat new Magnum Internal Polishing Filter (approx. $45). The micron cartridge with 1/2 cup of filter grade diatomaceous earth makes for awesome filtration and glass like water!

Tip: Again, for the highest quality water, feed high quality fish food that results in less fish waste (Believe it or not!)

thanks for the replies, still waiting the phosphate test kit from Amazon to arrive. It was supposed to be here yesterday but seems Prime shipping isn't so prime lately. Anyway, thanks for the tips for the higher quality food. I used to use Omega One, but went back to Tetra I noticed after that higher levels of fish poo. I mean my fish are all well and fine but I can tell. I don't really have a bad algae issue just some of my plants have a brownish black coating on them. Plus I bought a few marimo balls and some Java Moss which is establishing. I use the Finnex Planted Plus LED light for 6 hours a day, the rest I use moonlight. My Amazon Sword is growing like a weed lately. Lol Just high in Nitrates and looking to rid of that annoying black/brown on a few of my leaves.

For 'super polish' I've been 'playing' with Marineland's somewhat new Magnum Internal Polishing Filter (approx. $45). The micron cartridge with 1/2 cup of filter grade diatomaceous earth makes for awesome filtration and glass like water!

I did not know this item existed, but this is also how the diatom filter that I use works. It uses diatomaceous earth for filtration and it is awesome!

I did not know this item existed, but this is also how the diatom filter that I use works. It uses diatomaceous earth for filtration and it is awesome!

Back in the 70's I had a Vortex diatom filter and was amazed at how crystal clear it made water. Diatom filters filter down to 4 or 5 microns. I think the Marineland product has excellent versatility for the low price point. I was using it once a week following the water change, but think I'll use it every other week just for the extra polish.

fish.jpg

Put the Purigen in last night replacing my carbon filter. Thus far, clear water. Though I did have clear water before.
a>

me again, just wanted to update on the Purigen in replacement of carbon filter. In truth my tank seems even clearer today. My Neon Tetra's for some reason even look brighter as well as my black tetra's. Need to test the water and see how its going because its looking good.

The Vortex is what I have and it is awesome. I always use it after water changes. However, what you have might be even easier to use than the Vortex.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back