Puffer - When To Start Salt

swimswim

Reaction score
Hi

I got my green puffer yesterday and put him alone in my matured fresh water tank. He is about 2 inches big

When should I start to slowly increase the salt? He was kept in fresh water at the LFS, do I keep him on this for a few weeks? OR start with the salt now?

Thanks

You should start adding marine mix salt straightaway. There are no advantages to keeping a GSP in fresh water.

Salt will not harm freshwater filter bacteria up to SG 1.005; above that level you need to make the changes very slowly so that the freshwater filter bacteria can gradually be replaced with salt water ones.

Get a hydrometer (or, if you have the money, a refractometer). For brackish water fish, a plain vanilla floating hydrometer, which costs ~5 UK Pounds, will do the trick adequately well. You can take the fish to SG 1.003 at once, and assuming the nitrites are OK, which would imply the bacteria have adapted to brackish water, next week go to SG 1.005. You can leave the fish there for several months without problems.

Eventually though, you will need SG 1.010 upwards for a GSP. Make only small changes, e.g., from SG 1.005 to 1.006, and so on, each week or two. Keep checking the nitritres.

Cheers,

Neale

Hi thanks, well I have some salt and hydrometer. but my hydro meter says leave in salt water for two days before use.

Is this correct?

I just wanted to underscore something - make sure you are using marine salt and not aquarium salt. Two very different things and they need marine salt.

No, you don't need to let the salt water sit for 2 days. Stir it well, and leave it for about 20 minutes with an airstone bubbling away to circulate the water. That works very well. When you're ready to use it, check there aren't any undissolved bits at the bottom of the bucket. In theory, if a fish was to swallow a chunk of salt, that could be quite harmful.

Cheers,

Neale

Thanks, well i have gone for it and added some salt, hopefully will agree with mr puffer.

He wouldnt eat his cockle so tried with some blood worm which he gobbled down

You added the salt to the bucket of water, right? Not the tank. That would be bad.

Puffers are finicky about food. Whole snails and shelly shrimps are what they need. Bloodworms, krill, frozen peas, and lobster eggs are things I've found they enjoy. You do need to train them to take what they need, and not just what they want! Like kids and vegetables.

Cheers,

Neale

Ok I havent got my tank or puffer yet, but how much salt do you add per litre to add to the tank? To increase the SG do you just keep adding more saltwater to the freshwater or just increase the salt?

Yup I mixed into a bucket first and left it for about 30 mins before adding it.

Thanks for the info on food, I will see what I can con him into eating tomorrow :)

Ok I havent got my tank or puffer yet, but how much salt do you add per litre to add to the tank? To increase the SG do you just keep adding more saltwater to the freshwater or just increase the salt?

You really should get a hydrometer, that's a tool that is used for measuring the particulate of water. Then mix up a bucket of water and marine salt mix. scoop some of the mixture into the hydrometer then read how dense the salt is. When you reach the desired density and are confident that all the salt mix is dissolved then simply add to the tank.

It's a bit tricky with an existing tank but I found one of the best methods is to mix up a small amount of very salty water, then slowly add to existing water in the tank till the tankwater reads where you want it!

Hope that helps!

SLC

As others have said, a hydrometer makes life much easier. A refractometer is more accurate, but a hydrometer will do just fine for brackish water fish.

I wrote a little computer program called Brack Calc that will help you estimate how much salt you need by weight. At a pinch, you can use this approach to do water changes until you get a hydrometer. Normal seawater has 35 grammes of sea salt per litre of water. The SG of such water is about 1.024 at 25C. If you wanted one-quarter strength seawater, which would be fine for, say, a figure-8 puffer or some mollies, then you could divide the 35 grammes by 4 to get the amount you need. Brack Calc does that calculation for you by allowing you to simply pull sliders back and forth.

brack_calc3a.jpg

The problem with weighing salt out is that unless you take specific precautions to stop moisture getting in*, it will absorb water. This means that over time, 35 grammes of the stuff is no longer just salt, but also water. Thus, your estimates will become steadily less accurate. This is why you use a hydrometer, because it removes this potential error.

The best approach when raising the salinity in a brackish water tank is simply to decide on what SG you want (say, SG 1.005), make up a bucket of water to that SG, and then add that water to the tank with each water change. Don't worry about the exact salinity in the tank. It doesn't matter. The fish are less bothered by salinity changes that we imagine! They have evolved to adapt to them. So if your tank starts off as freshwater, and you change 20% each week, after about a month or so, it will be as close to 1.005 as makes no odds.

Brackish water fishkeeping is actually very simple, because the fish don't care about steady salinities and don't need a specific SG. For low-end brackish stuff, anything from 1.002 to 1.006 will do fine, and for the high-end stuff, anything from 1.010 to full marine is acceptable. It isn't like keeping a reef tank, where the marine animals expect water chemistry that doesn't change, ever. Even better, you can use changes in salinity to zap external parasites like whitespot.

Cheers,

Neale

* Specifically, store in a dessicator using something like cobalt chloride to remove atmospheric moisture. In the bag, the salt should be water-free ("anhydrous"), but as soon as you open the bag, it will inevitably absorb moisture from the air, even in a dry climate.

cheers nmonks that program will come in useful :) .
By the looks of it I will be getting through alot of sea salt if I get a brackish puffer - how big are the packs that marine salt comes in?
And yes I will get a hydrometer if I get a brackish one.

Most reactions

Back