Pseudotropheus Saulosi In 30 Gall Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fleck

Reaction score
Hello
I am thinking of getting several Pseudotropheus saulosi for a 30 gallon long tank which is only 36 inches long. I am not sure if tank is to small ?
Ofcourse they will be only fish in the tank.

If its okay was thinking of PVC pipes as caves stacked up. I am afraid of so many rocks in the tank .

Any input,suggestions would be great.

Thank you

That tank is to small and there won't be enough room for the fish to dodge the aggressor. Trust me, I QT'd in a 30 inch 29 gallon tank. 6 inches won't make that much difference in length b/c your loosing a lot of height.

That tank is to small and there won't be enough room for the fish to dodge the aggressor. Trust me, I QT'd in a 30 inch 29 gallon tank. 6 inches won't make that much difference in length b/c your loosing a lot of height.

Thank you very much for the advice. I will rule these fish out .

Look I don't agree with the above. 30 Gall long is ok if you only lightly stock. I've happily kept a trio (1 male 2 females) in a tank this size, and even 1 male to 4 females would be fine for this size tank. Just make sure you provide plenty of hidey holes. I've found Saulosi Males to be pretty easily to handle with agression, 2 females spread their agression nicely. Just keep regular water changes and good filtration.

Look I don't agree with the above. 30 Gall long is ok if you only lightly stock. I've happily kept a trio (1 male 2 females) in a tank this size, and even 1 male to 4 females would be fine for this size tank. Just make sure you provide plenty of hidey holes. I've found Saulosi Males to be pretty easily to handle with agression, 2 females spread their agression nicely. Just keep regular water changes and good filtration.

Thanks it seems some can do it and some can't since my experience with Africans is zero opted to look at fish that can live in 30 gallon without any problems.

Actually a saulosi species tank is a popular choice for a 3-ft. This can work as long as you only have one male, lots of rock work (be sure to leave swimming space) and stock lightly. I'd say 1m/4f would work, as they breed (and they undoubtably will) you'll want to make sure to remove juvies once they reach around an inch as IME the adults will generally start looking at them as competitors (especially in a smaller tank).

While I rarely recommend mbuna in anything smaller than a 4-ft, this is one of the exceptions. :good: Just keep in mind that everyone has a different experience, and every individual fish can be different.

Actually a saulosi species tank is a popular choice for a 3-ft. This can work as long as you only have one male, lots of rock work (be sure to leave swimming space) and stock lightly. I'd say 1m/4f would work, as they breed (and they undoubtably will) you'll want to make sure to remove juvies once they reach around an inch as IME the adults will generally start looking at them as competitors (especially in a smaller tank).

While I rarely recommend mbuna in anything smaller than a 4-ft, this is one of the exceptions. :good: Just keep in mind that everyone has a different experience, and every individual fish can be different.

Thanks its either going to be Saulosi or rainbow cichlids . It seems both types you have different experiences by different people thus nothing written in stone . The fish do seem to vary personality wise.

Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back